Finding volume by using cross section?

In summary, the given task is to find the volume of a circular rod with a cross section area of 1m^2. The suggested method is to use the equation V = πr^2l, where r is the radius and l is the length/height. Another way to find the volume is to use the formula L x area, where L is the length of the rod and area is the cross section area.
exibo177

Homework Statement

The only given data is that the cross section is 1m^2, the shape is circular (like a cut wire/rod) and i have to find the volume.

Homework Equations

from what I've searched, i found the equation:
39789.nce010.gif

but i have no idea what to do with it, i still haven't learned it at school.
if you know any other way to do it, please tell me with explanations. thank you!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the cross section of a cylinder, then you can find the radius
[itex]A=\pi r^2 => r=\sqrt{A/\pi}[/itex]
From the radius, you could find the volume if you were dealing with a sphere, or if you are dealing with a cylinder, you would need a length/height.
[itex]V_{cylinder} = \pi r^2 l
\\
V_{sphere} = 4/3 \pi r^3[/itex]

Encephalon said:
If you have the cross section of a cylinder, then you can find the radius
[itex]A=\pi r^2 => r=\sqrt{A/\pi}[/itex]
From the radius, you could find the volume if you were dealing with a sphere, or if you are dealing with a cylinder, you would need a length/height.
[itex]V_{cylinder} = \pi r^2 l
\\
V_{sphere} = 4/3 \pi r^3[/itex]
So my A here is 1m^2?

To find the volume of a rod of uniform crossection area (square, circular, triangular...it does not matter) the equationis L x area
so if area is 1m^2 and the rod is 1 m long the volume is 1m^3, 10m long it is 10m^3 and so on

edit, misposted
please delete

Related to Finding volume by using cross section?

What is the concept of finding volume by using cross section?

The concept of finding volume by using cross section involves dividing a three-dimensional object into multiple two-dimensional cross sections and then using the area of each cross section to calculate the volume of the object.

Why is finding volume by using cross section important in science?

Finding volume by using cross section is important in science because it allows us to calculate the volume of complex three-dimensional objects, which is necessary in fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry.

What are the steps involved in finding volume by using cross section?

The steps involved in finding volume by using cross section include dividing the object into multiple two-dimensional cross sections, calculating the area of each cross section, and then adding the areas together to get the total volume of the object.

What are some common examples of finding volume by using cross section?

Some common examples of finding volume by using cross section include calculating the volume of a cone, cylinder, or sphere, as well as more complex objects such as a pyramid or a prism.

What are some potential challenges when finding volume by using cross section?

Some potential challenges when finding volume by using cross section include accurately dividing the object into cross sections and accurately calculating the area of each cross section, especially for irregularly shaped objects.