Finding Volume of Torus by Revolving Semi-Circle

In summary, theAttempt at a Solution used the shell method to integrate over the interval [-1,1], and got the volume of the solid to be 4pi2.
icesalmon

Homework Statement

A torus is formed by revolving the region bounded by the circle x2 + y2 = 1 about the line x = 2. Find the volume of the solid.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've actually got the answer correct. I'm using shell method. My height, h(x), I believe is double the area of the semi-circle, I have 2(1-x2)1/2 and my radius p(x) was 1. I'm integrating over the interval [-1,1] and I got 4pi2 I'm curious if this was the right thing to do or if it makes sense to more knowledgeable people out there. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
icesalmon said:

Homework Statement

A torus is formed by revolving the region bounded by the circle x2 + y2 = 1 about the line x = 2. Find the volume of the solid.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've actually got the answer correct. I'm using shell method. My height, h(x), I believe is double the area of the semi-circle, I have 2(1-x2)1/2 and my radius p(x) was 1. I'm integrating over the interval [-1,1] and I got 4pi2 I'm curious if this was the right thing to do or if it makes sense to more knowledgeable people out there. Thanks
If you got the right answer, I don't see how. Using the shell method, a typical volume element would be 2##\pi## * radius * height * Δx

The height is 2√(1 - x2), as you say, but the radius is not a constant - it is 2 - x. The radius of the circle is 1, but that doesn't have anything directly to do with the volume of the torus, other than playing a role in the height.

so the height is 2(1-x2)1/2 and the radius is 2-x
thanks, got it.

Last edited:
Can you show how you did the integration? I'm getting 4##\pi^2##, which is the answer you showed in post 1.

You should break the integral into two integrals. One of them would be somewhat difficult if you actually tried to find an antiderivative, but it's easy when you use the geometry that the integral represents. The other integral is an easy substitution.

I have 4(1-x2)1/2 -2x(1-x2)1/2 for my first integrand after factoring. integrating -2x(1-x2)1/2 I believe goes to 0. so I'm left with 4(1-x2)1/2 to integrate so, I factor out the 4 and use trig subs to finish off the integral letting x = sin(θ) my bounds change to [-pi/2,pi/2] and I end up with 8pi/2(theta + sin(theta)) the sin(theta) is zero at both pi and -pi so I have 4pi(pi/2-(-pi/2)) = 4pi(pi) = 4pi2

i'm not "supposed" to know how to use trigonometric substitution at this point. The (1-x2)1/2 is the area under the upper portion of the circle but I'm not sure what kind of techniques are being used to reduce it down to pi2

edit: the integrand (1-x2)1/2 represents half of the area of a circle so I would multiply 8pi by pi(r)2/2 with r = 1
I would get 8pi(pi(1)/2) = 4pi2

Last edited:
icesalmon said:
i'm not "supposed" to know how to use trigonometric substitution at this point. The (1-x2)1/2 is the area under the upper portion of the circle but I'm not sure what kind of techniques are being used to reduce it down to pi2

edit: the integrand (1-x2)1/2 represents half of the area of a circle so I would multiply 8pi by pi(r)2/2 with r = 1
I would get 8pi(pi(1)/2) = 4pi2
Right, that's exactly what you're supposed to do. That's what I meant when I said that the integral was easy if you use the geometry that it represents.

And yes, the other integral's contribution is 0.

yes, of course. Thank you

Related to Finding Volume of Torus by Revolving Semi-Circle

1. What is the volume of revolution for a given shape?

The volume of revolution is the three-dimensional space enclosed by a curve or surface when it is rotated around a straight line, also known as the axis of revolution.

2. How do you calculate the volume of revolution?

The volume of revolution can be calculated using the disk method or the shell method. The disk method involves slicing the shape into infinitely thin disks perpendicular to the axis of rotation and adding up their volumes. The shell method involves slicing the shape into infinitely thin cylindrical shells parallel to the axis of rotation and adding up their volumes.

3. What are the prerequisites for solving a volume of revolution question?

In order to solve a volume of revolution question, one should be familiar with basic calculus concepts such as integration and the disk and shell methods. It is also important to have a good understanding of geometric shapes and their properties.

4. Can the volume of revolution be negative?

No, the volume of revolution cannot be negative. It represents a physical measurement of a three-dimensional space and must have a positive value.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the volume of revolution?

Yes, the volume of revolution has various real-world applications such as calculating the volume of liquid in a container with curved sides, determining the volume of a solid of revolution in engineering and architecture, and finding the mass or density of an irregularly shaped object in physics.