Finding which direct sum of cyclic groups Z*n is isomorphic to

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding structurally distinct abelian groups of a certain order by using the theorem that every finite abelian group is isomorphic to the direct sum of cyclic groups. The question arises of how to determine the isomorphic direct sum when given a group of a smaller order. The conversation also mentions a paper that addresses this question and the idea of finding the group presentation or generating set.
dumbQuestion
I always see problems like "how many structurally distinct abelian groups of order (some large number) are there? I understand how we apply the theorem which tells us that every finite abelian group of order n is isomorphic to the direct sum of cyclic groups. We find this by looking at the prime factorization of n, etc. (like for 600, 600 = 2^3 * 3 * 5^2, so we know there are 6 combinations possible and so 6 structurally distinct abelian groups of order 600)

however, what if I'm going the other way around? What if I have a group of order say something simple like 4, takes Z*(8) for example. I want to put this in terms of a direct sum of cyclic groups, and I know there are 4 options. How do I find out which one it is isomorphic to? I know I can do brute force things like take the cyclic subgroups generated by each of the elements and see what the order of each element is. But is there any hard and fast way which will tell me, like maybe based on the prime factorization of n, so that when I'm dealing with a large number (like Z*(700)) I'd be able to tell which direct sum of cyclic groups its isomorphic to?

Physics news on Phys.org
I will note, I am fairly certain that if I know the generating set of a group, then I can find an answer to this question. For example, Z*(8) is not cyclic, but I know its generating set is (3)(5). From this I can figure out that Z*(8) is isomorphic to C_2 * C_2. But how do I do this for arbitrarily large values of n? How do I find the generating set? Does it have to do with the cosets of a certain cyclic group?

I found a paper which addresses my questions of how to find the group which is the isomorphic direct sum and wanted to share it for future reference

http://designtheory.org/library/encyc/topics/abelian.pdfThe only thing I can't figure out still is how to find the group presentation, or the generating set. My guess is that if you know which direct sum of cyclic groups its isomorphic to, then if we enumerate all the cyclic subgroups of Z*n, we can select then based on which elements have the right orders.

Last edited:

1. What is a direct sum of cyclic groups?

A direct sum of cyclic groups is a mathematical concept that combines two or more cyclic groups into a larger group. It is denoted by a plus sign (+) between the groups, and it is a way to construct new groups from existing ones.

2. How do I find which direct sum of cyclic groups Z*n is isomorphic to?

To find which direct sum of cyclic groups Z*n is isomorphic to, you need to consider the prime factorization of n. If n is a prime number, then Z*n is isomorphic to the cyclic group Z/nZ. If n is a composite number, then Z*n is isomorphic to the direct sum of cyclic groups Z/p1Z + Z/p2Z + ... + Z/pkZ, where p1, p2, ..., pk are the prime factors of n.

3. What is the difference between isomorphic and isomorphism?

Isomorphic refers to two mathematical structures that are essentially the same, while isomorphism is the mathematical concept that describes the relationship between these structures. In the context of direct sums of cyclic groups, if two groups are isomorphic, it means that they have the same structure and are essentially the same group, just with different labels for their elements.

4. Are there any other methods to determine the isomorphism of direct sums of cyclic groups?

Yes, there are other methods to determine the isomorphism of direct sums of cyclic groups. One method involves using the Chinese Remainder Theorem, which states that if n is a positive integer and p1, p2, ..., pk are distinct prime numbers, then Z/nZ is isomorphic to the direct product Z/p1^a1Z x Z/p2^a2Z x ... x Z/pk^akZ, where a1, a2, ..., ak are positive integers. Another method involves using the Fundamental Theorem of Finite Abelian Groups, which states that every finite abelian group is isomorphic to a direct sum of cyclic groups.

5. Why is it important to determine the isomorphism of direct sums of cyclic groups?

Determining the isomorphism of direct sums of cyclic groups is important because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of these groups. It also helps us to identify and classify different groups, which can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications. Additionally, the isomorphism of direct sums of cyclic groups is closely related to the factorization of integers, which has many important applications in number theory and cryptography.