Finite difference method for Schrödinger equation

In summary, the conversation discusses using a numerical approach to solve the time-independent Schrödinger equation. The equation is discretized on a lattice and the second order derivative is approximated using the central difference formula. The validity of this approximation is estimated by considering the dispersion and the teacher explains that it holds when the lattice spacing is much shorter than the wavelength. The connection between the parabolic dispersion in k and the finite difference approximation for the derivative is explained by the fact that k is related to the momentum operator in the equation.
aaaa202
Suppose I want to solve the time-independent Schrödinger equation
2/2m ∂2/∂x2 + V)ψ = Eψ
using a numerical approach. I then discretize the equation on a lattice of N points such that x=(x1,x2,...,xN) etc. Finally I approximate the second order derivative with the well known central difference formula:
2/∂x2 ≈ 1/Δx2i+1i-1-2ψi)
My question is now: How do you estimate the validity of this approximation? I have already talked to my teacher about it and he said the following:
The discrete approximation is a tight-binding model with dispersion:
E = ħ2/2m * 2/Δx2(1-cos(kΔx))
So for Δx<<1/k we can taylor expand this expression to give:
E ≈ ħ2/2m * 2/Δx2(1-(1-1/2(kΔx)2))=ħ2k2/2m
Which, according to my teacher, shows that the approximation holds provided that the lattice spacing is much shorter than the wavelength. What I don't get is how you can argue that because the dispersion is parabolic in k the finite difference approximation for the derivative ∂2/∂x2 is a good approximation. In short: What "connects" ħ2k2/2m with ħ2/2m ∂2/∂x2?

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
In short: What "connects" ħ2k2/2m with ħ2/2m ∂2/∂x2?
You mean apart from the fact that ##p = \hbar k## and ##\hat{p}^2= -\hbar^2 \frac{d^2}{dx^2}##?

But k is not an operator in this case. It is a wavenumber. What connects the number form with the operator form?

aaaa202 said:
But k is not an operator in this case. It is a wavenumber. What connects the number form with the operator form?
Plane waves. Eigenfunctions of the ##\hat{p}^2## operator are of the form ##\exp(i k x)## where ##k = p/\hbar##, with ##p## the momentum of the corresponding plane wave.

1. What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. It is named after Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain position or state.

2. What is the finite difference method?

The finite difference method is a numerical method used to solve differential equations, such as the Schrödinger equation. It involves discretizing the equation into a set of algebraic equations, which can then be solved using computational methods. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering fields to model physical systems.

3. How does the finite difference method solve the Schrödinger equation?

The finite difference method solves the Schrödinger equation by discretizing the space and time variables. This creates a grid of points where the wave function is calculated at each point using the finite difference approximation. These values are then used to solve the set of algebraic equations, resulting in an approximation of the wave function at each time step.

4. What are the advantages of using the finite difference method for the Schrödinger equation?

One advantage of using the finite difference method for the Schrödinger equation is that it is relatively easy to implement and requires minimal computational resources. It is also a versatile method that can be used for a wide range of problems and can handle complex geometries. Additionally, the finite difference method allows for the inclusion of various boundary conditions, making it suitable for a variety of physical systems.

5. What are the limitations of the finite difference method for the Schrödinger equation?

One limitation of the finite difference method for the Schrödinger equation is that it can introduce numerical errors, especially when dealing with highly oscillatory solutions. It also requires a large number of grid points to accurately capture the behavior of the wave function, which can be computationally expensive. Additionally, the finite difference method is limited to solving linear problems and may not be suitable for more complex systems that require non-linear solutions.