Finite Extension Simple iff Purely Inseparable Closure Simple

In summary, a finite extension $K:F$ is simple if and only if the purely inseparable closure of $F$ in $K$ is simple over $F$. This is supported by the lemma that states $K=SI$ where $S$ and $I$ are the separable and purely inseparable closures, and the well known theorem that a finite extension is simple if and only if there are only finitely many intermediate fields. This can also be shown by considering the simple extension of the separable closure of $F$ in $K$ and the fact that there are only finitely many composites between this simple extension and $F$.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Question. Is it true that a finite extension $K:F$ is simple iff the purely inseprable closure is simple over $F$?

I think have an argument to support the above.

First we show the following:

Lemma. Let $K:F$ be a finite extension and $S$ and $I$ be the separable and purely inseparable closures. Then $K=SI$.
Proof. We note that $K$ is separable over $I$. This is because if $K$ is not separable over $I$, then the purely inseparable degree of $K$ over $I$ is greater than $1$. So there would exist an element $\alpha\in K\setminus I$ which is purely inseparable over $I$. But then $I(\alpha)$ would be purely inseparable over $F$, giving $I(\alpha)=I$, that is $\alpha\in I$, a contradiction. Similarly we have $K$ purely inseparable over $S$.
Therefore $K$ is both separable and purely inseparable over $SI$, meaning $K=SI$.

The following is a well known theorem:

A finite extension is simple iff there are only finitely many intermediate fields.

Now we show that if $K:F$ is a finite simple extension, then so is $I:F$, where $I$ is the purely inseparable closure. Since there are only finitely many intermediate fields between $K$ and $F$, therefore there are only many intermediate fields between $I$ and $F$. Therefore $I:F$ is simple.

Conversely, assume that $I:F$ is simple. We show that there are only finitely many intermediate fields between $K$ and $F$. Let $M$ be an intermediate field between $K$ and $F$.
Let $M_I$ be the purely inseparable closure of $M$ over $F$ and $M_S$ be the separable closure of $M$ over $F$. Then by the lemma above we have $M=M_IM_S$.
Also, $M_I=M\cap I$ and $M_S=M\cap S$ are subfields of $I$ and $S$ which contain $F$, and knowing that $S:F$ is simple (since finite separable extensions are simple), there are only finitely many composites $M_IM_S$.
Therefore there are only finitely many intermediate field between $K$ and $F$ and thus $K:F$ is simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
caffeinemachine said:
Question. Is it true that a finite extension $K:F$ is simple iff the purely inseprable closure is simple over $F$?

I think have an argument to support the above.

First we show the following:

Lemma. Let $K:F$ be a finite extension and $S$ and $I$ be the separable and purely inseparable closures. Then $K=SI$.
Proof. We note that $K$ is separable over $I$. This is because if $K$ is not separable over $I$, then the purely inseparable degree of $K$ over $I$ is greater than $1$. So there would exist an element $\alpha\in K\setminus I$ which is purely inseparable over $I$. But then $I(\alpha)$ would be purely inseparable over $F$, giving $I(\alpha)=I$, that is $\alpha\in I$, a contradiction. Similarly we have $K$ purely inseparable over $S$.
Therefore $K$ is both separable and purely inseparable over $SI$, meaning $K=SI$.

The following is a well known theorem:

A finite extension is simple iff there are only finitely many intermediate fields.

Now we show that if $K:F$ is a finite simple extension, then so is $I:F$, where $I$ is the purely inseparable closure. Since there are only finitely many intermediate fields between $K$ and $F$, therefore there are only many intermediate fields between $I$ and $F$. Therefore $I:F$ is simple.

Conversely, assume that $I:F$ is simple. We show that there are only finitely many intermediate fields between $K$ and $F$. Let $M$ be an intermediate field between $K$ and $F$.
Let $M_I$ be the purely inseparable closure of $M$ over $F$ and $M_S$ be the separable closure of $M$ over $F$. Then by the lemma above we have $M=M_IM_S$.
Also, $M_I=M\cap I$ and $M_S=M\cap S$ are subfields of $I$ and $S$ which contain $F$, and knowing that $S:F$ is simple (since finite separable extensions are simple), there are only finitely many composites $M_IM_S$.
Therefore there are only finitely many intermediate field between $K$ and $F$ and thus $K:F$ is simple.
In the above I have claimed that $K$ is separable over the purely inseparable closure $I$ of $F$ in $K$. This seems to be in error. What is true is the following: A finite extension $K:F$ is simple if and only if $K$ is a simple extension of the separable closure of $F$ in $K$.

1. What is the meaning of "Finite Extension Simple iff Purely Inseparable Closure Simple"?

The term "Finite Extension Simple iff Purely Inseparable Closure Simple" refers to a property of a field extension in abstract algebra. It states that a finite field extension is considered simple (or "purely inseparable closure simple") if and only if its purely inseparable closure is also simple.

2. What is a finite field extension?

A finite field extension is a type of field extension in abstract algebra that involves extending a smaller field (known as the base field) by adjoining a finite number of elements. This results in a larger field extension that contains all the elements of the base field as well as the new elements that were adjoined.

3. What does it mean for a field extension to be simple?

In the context of abstract algebra, a simple field extension means that the larger field extension can be generated by a single element. This is in contrast to more complex field extensions, which may require multiple elements to generate.

4. What is a purely inseparable closure?

A purely inseparable closure is a type of field extension that is obtained by adjoining all the roots of inseparable polynomials to a given field. In other words, it is the smallest field extension that contains all the inseparable elements of the original field.

5. Why is the property "Finite Extension Simple iff Purely Inseparable Closure Simple" important?

This property is important because it helps us better understand the structure of field extensions and how they relate to each other. It also has practical applications in areas such as algebraic geometry and number theory. Additionally, this property can be used in proofs and constructions in abstract algebra to simplify the analysis of finite field extensions.