Finite Supremum and Infinium Solution for Munkres Text Question 20.7

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty in finding an answer for a problem, and the suggestion to rephrase the problem and possibly consult the book or ask for help from others. The speaker also mentions their solution, which involves finite supremum and nonzero infimum for the a_i terms, and no restraints for the b_i terms. They also mention that the problem is related to the continuity and homeomorphism of a map called a "diagonal operator."
Fisicks
I can't seem to find a answer for 20.7 anywhere. Unfourtantly, I do not have the skills to latex the problem out, so I only hope someone looks in the book.

My solution is that the supremum of the set of a_i 's must be finite above and the infinium is finite and greater then zero , and the b_i 's have no restraints.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Fisicks! :smile:

Fisicks said:
I can't seem to find a answer for 20.7 anywhere. Unfourtantly, I do not have the skills to latex the problem out, so I only hope someone looks in the book.

My solution is that the supremum of the set of a_i 's must be finite above and the infinium is finite and greater then zero , and the b_i 's have no restraints.

What is that an answer to?? To the continuity of h or to h being a homeomorphism.

For h to be continuous, you are correct: we only need to demand that [itex]\sup{a_i}<+\infty[/itex].

But for h to be homeomorphism, it is also correct, we demand that [itex]\sup{a_i}<+\infty[/itex] and [itex]\inf{a_i}>0[/itex].

Note, the map in this exercise is often called a "diagonal operator". So you can search it by that name :smile:

Hi there! I understand that you're having trouble finding the answer for 20.7 and you're not able to latex the problem. I would suggest trying to rephrase the problem in a different way and maybe searching for that instead. It's also possible that the answer may not be readily available online and you may need to consult the book or ask a classmate or teacher for help. As for your solution, it sounds like you have a good understanding of the problem and have identified the necessary restraints for the a_i and b_i terms. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the Munkres text question?

The Munkres text question refers to a problem or exercise found in the textbook "Topology" by James Munkres. It is a commonly used textbook in undergraduate courses on topology.

2. Is the Munkres text question difficult?

The difficulty of the Munkres text question can vary depending on the individual's understanding of topology and their mathematical background. However, it is generally considered to be a challenging textbook with rigorous proofs and concepts.

3. How can I approach the Munkres text question?

It is recommended to carefully read and understand the definitions, theorems, and examples provided in the textbook before attempting the Munkres text question. It may also be helpful to work on simpler problems first and then gradually progress to more difficult ones.

4. Are there any resources to help me with the Munkres text question?

Yes, there are various online resources such as solutions manuals, study guides, and video lectures that can provide additional support and explanations for the Munkres text question. It is important to use these resources as a supplement to your own understanding and not as a replacement for independent thinking and problem-solving.

5. Why is the Munkres text question important?

The Munkres text question is important because it covers fundamental concepts and techniques in topology, which is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric objects that remain unchanged under continuous transformations. These concepts are essential in many fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.