Finite Volume Method & Evaluating Integral at Borders for Two-Phase Flow

In summary, the conversation discussed creating a one-dimensional simulator for two-phase flow using the finite volume method. The user asked about evaluating the integral at the border between volumes and how to evaluate k(x). The expert suggested using the concept of a transmissibility factor to calculate effective permeability at the interface and also mentioned the importance of considering capillary pressure and relative permeability when updating saturation and permeability for each timestep.
maka89
Hi! I am trying to make a one-dimentional simulator for two-phase flow. I am going to use the finite volume method, because it is conservative and thus it's easier to keep track of the oil/water ratio in the area.

Say you have a conservation equation on the form [itex]\nabla \cdot (k(x) \nabla P(x))[/itex]. Then you integrate, apply the divergence theorem and get:
[itex]\int \nabla \cdot (k(x) \nabla P(x)) dV = \int k(x)\nabla P(x) d\overline{A} = A\cdot ([k(x)\frac{dP}{dx}]_{i+1/2} - [k(x)\frac{dP}{dx}]_{i-1/2}).[/itex]

So finally, my question: How do you evaluate the integral at the border between the volumes? In particular: How do you evaluate k(x) ?

Help appriciated :)

Additional info(NOT REALLY RELEVANT):

The equation used is Darcy's law:
[itex]\overline{q}= \frac{k_{i}(x)}{\mu}\cdot\frac{dP}{dx} \widehat{x}[/itex].

q is flux, P is pressure, [itex]\mu[/itex] is viscosity(constant) [itex]k_{i}[/itex] is the permeability for each phase. The permeability will change with the saturation(the ratio between volume of the phase divided by total fluid volume).

Mass conservation:
[itex] \nabla \cdot \overline{q} = s_{i}c_{i}\phi\frac{dP}{dt} [/itex].
[itex]\phi[/itex] is porosity(ratio between volume available for fluids and total rock volume), [itex]c_{i}[/itex] is the compressibility for each phase and is taken to be constant. [itex]s_{i}[/itex] is the saturation mentioned earlier. The equations for each phase can be combined to one equation for the pressure, knowing [itex]s_{oil} + s_{water} = 1[/itex]. Then updating [itex] s_{i} [/itex] and [itex]k_{i}[/itex] for each timestep.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! It's great to hear that you are working on a one-dimensional simulator for two-phase flow using the finite volume method. This approach is indeed a good choice for keeping track of the oil/water ratio in the area.

To answer your question about evaluating the integral at the border between volumes, there are a few things to consider. Firstly, the integral should be evaluated at the interface between the two volumes, as this is where the flux and pressure gradients will be changing. This means that you will need to use the values of k(x) and dP/dx at the interface.

In terms of evaluating k(x), this can be done using the concept of a transmissibility factor. This factor takes into account the permeability, porosity, and viscosity of each phase, as well as the geometry of the grid cells at the interface. It is used to calculate the effective permeability at the interface, which is then used in the integral.

I would also like to mention that when updating the saturation and permeability for each timestep, it is important to consider the impact of capillary pressure and relative permeability on these properties. These factors can significantly affect the flow behavior and should be taken into account in your simulation.

I hope this helps and good luck with your simulator! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the Finite Volume Method (FVM)?

The Finite Volume Method (FVM) is a numerical technique used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs) in fluid dynamics. It involves dividing the fluid domain into small control volumes and applying conservation laws to these volumes, resulting in a set of algebraic equations that can be solved to obtain the desired solution.

2. How does the FVM work for two-phase flow?

The FVM can be used to solve for two-phase flow by considering each phase (e.g. liquid and gas) as a separate fluid and tracking their respective properties in each control volume. The conservation equations for mass, momentum, and energy are then applied to each phase separately, taking into account any interfacial interactions between the phases.

3. What is the importance of evaluating integrals at the borders for two-phase flow?

Evaluating integrals at the borders is crucial for accurately modeling two-phase flow phenomena, such as phase changes or interfacial forces. These integrals represent the fluxes of mass, momentum, and energy across the control volume boundaries and are essential for accurately capturing the behavior of the two phases.

4. What are some challenges of using the FVM for two-phase flow?

One of the main challenges of using the FVM for two-phase flow is accurately modeling the complex interactions between the different phases, such as phase changes, surface tension effects, and interfacial instabilities. Another challenge is ensuring numerical stability and convergence, as the equations can become highly nonlinear and may require special treatment to obtain accurate solutions.

5. How is the accuracy of FVM solutions for two-phase flow evaluated?

The accuracy of FVM solutions for two-phase flow can be evaluated by comparing the results to experimental or analytical data, if available. Additionally, convergence studies can be performed to assess the sensitivity of the solution to grid size and time step. Validation against other numerical methods can also provide an indication of the accuracy of the FVM solution.