Finitely Cogenerated Modules - Bland Definition 4.1.3, Page 105

In summary, Bland defines a finitely cogenerated module as a module that can be obtained through a direct product of submodules that are monomorphically mapped into it. This concept is related to the generation of modules in the opposite category and is named co-generation. However, it is not necessarily a finite process as there may exist an infinite subset of submodules that satisfy the definition.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am trying to understand Section 4.1 on Generating and Cogenerating Classes ... ...

In particular I am trying to understand and get a good sense of the notion of a module being finitely cogenerated ...

Bland defines a finitely cogenerated module as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/5835I seem to be misunderstanding the notion of finite cogeneration of a module ... indeed at first glance the notion seems pretty meaningless ...

To explain ... if we take \(\displaystyle \Delta = \{ 1, 2, 3, 4 \}\) ... ... and we assume

\(\displaystyle \bigcap_\Delta M_\alpha = M_1 \cap M_2 \cap M_3 \cap M_4 = 0 \)

then of course any subset of \(\displaystyle \{ M_\alpha \}_\Delta = 0\) ... ... I think ... ?... and so the concept seems empty ... ?
Can someone please explain the concept of cogeneration ... and hence finite cogeneration ...

... and how it relates to the generation of modules ...Peter

EDIT

In hindsight, I think I may be muddling the situation \(\displaystyle \bigcap_\Delta M_\alpha = 0\) ... with the situation \(\displaystyle \bigcap_\Delta M_\alpha = \phi\)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am trying to understand Section 4.1 on Generating and Cogenerating Classes ... ...

In particular I am trying to understand and get a good sense of the notion of a module being finitely cogenerated ...

Bland defines a finitely cogenerated module as follows:I seem to be misunderstanding the notion of finite cogeneration of a module ... indeed at first glance the notion seems pretty meaningless ...

To explain ... if we take \(\displaystyle \Delta = \{ 1, 2, 3, 4 \}\) ... ... and we assume

then of course any subset of \(\displaystyle \{ M_\alpha \}_\Delta = 0\) ... ... I think ... ?... and so the concept seems empty ... ?
Can someone please explain the concept of cogeneration ... and hence finite cogeneration ...

... and how it relates to the generation of modules ...Peter

EDIT

In hindsight, I think I may be muddling the situation \(\displaystyle \bigcap_\Delta M_\alpha = 0\) ... with the situation \(\displaystyle \bigcap_\Delta M_\alpha = \phi\)
I have been reflecting on Bland Definition 4.1.3 ... ... ... and I now believe I was wrong when I wrote:" ... ... To explain ... if we take \(\displaystyle \Delta = \{ 1, 2, 3, 4 \}\) ... ... and we assume

then of course any subset of \(\displaystyle \{ M_\alpha \}_\Delta = 0\) ... ... I think ... ? ... ... "
Indeed consider the following diagram with three submodules and \(\displaystyle M_1 \cap M_2 \cap M_3 = 0\) ... ... where it is clear that \(\displaystyle M_1 \cap M_2 \neq 0\) and \(\displaystyle M_1 \cap M_3 \neq 0\) ... but \(\displaystyle M_1 \cap M_2 \cap M_3 = 0\) ... ...
View attachment 5837BUT ... I still cannot see how you can possibly get \(\displaystyle M_1 \cap M_2 \cap M_3 = 0\) with no subset satisfying \(\displaystyle M_i \cap M_j = 0\) ...

In other words it appears that to get \(\displaystyle \bigcap_\Delta M_\alpha = 0\) there must always be a finite subset \(\displaystyle F \subseteq \Delta\) such that \(\displaystyle \bigcap_F M_\alpha = 0\) ... ...

... ... so ... seems to be a meaningless concept ... so ... what is wrong with my thinking ...

... hmmm ... is it that there may be an \(\displaystyle F\) but it may not be finite ... but ... think I am grasping at straws ...Can someone please clarify the notions of cogeneration and finite cogeneration ... ...PeterPS I am still puzzled by the name co-generation for this concept ... ... which implies to me that there is something in it related to generation of modules ... but what exactly in the definition of finitely cogenerated has to do with the generation of modules ... ?

Last edited:
Peter, I am still in Chapter 3 of Bland's book.

About the etymology of co. It is something like this:
If we have a Property in category $C$ then the coProperty in $C$ is the dual Property in opposite category $C^o$

See definitions 4.1.2 and 4.1.5

So in category $C = \mbox{Hom} _R$ we have
$M$ is generated by $\{M_\alpha\}_\Delta$ if there is an epimorphism $\bigoplus _\Delta M_\alpha \longrightarrow M$

then in the opposite category $C^o$ we have
$M$ is generated by $\{M_\alpha\}_\Delta$ if there is a co-epimorphism $\mbox{co}(\bigoplus _\Delta M_\alpha) \mbox{co}(\longrightarrow) M$

i.e., in $C^o$ we have
$M$ is generated by $\{M_\alpha\}_\Delta$ if there is a monomorphism $\Pi _\Delta M_\alpha \longleftarrow M$

and finally in category $C = \mbox{Hom} _R$ we have
$M$ is co-generated by $\{M_\alpha\}_\Delta$ if there is a monomorphism $M\longrightarrow \Pi _\Delta M_\alpha$

1. What is a "Finitely Cogenerated Module"?

A finitely cogenerated module is a module where every finitely generated submodule is also a direct summand, meaning it can be written as a direct sum of two submodules.

2. What is the significance of Definition 4.1.3 on Page 105?

Definition 4.1.3 on Page 105 provides a precise characterization of finitely cogenerated modules, which is a useful concept in the study of module theory. It allows for the identification and classification of finitely cogenerated modules in various contexts.

3. How does a finitely cogenerated module differ from a finitely generated module?

A finitely generated module is one where every element can be written as a finite linear combination of a finite set of generators. In contrast, a finitely cogenerated module is one where every finitely generated submodule is also a direct summand. This means that the structure of a finitely cogenerated module is more rigid and can be decomposed into simpler components.

4. What are some examples of finitely cogenerated modules?

Some examples of finitely cogenerated modules include finite-dimensional vector spaces, finitely generated free modules, and finitely generated projective modules.

5. Are all finitely generated modules also finitely cogenerated?

No, not all finitely generated modules are finitely cogenerated. For example, a finitely generated module over a field is always finitely cogenerated, but a finitely generated module over a commutative ring may not be finitely cogenerated. However, in certain contexts, such as in a Noetherian ring, every finitely generated module is also finitely cogenerated.