Artinian Modules - Bland - Proposition 4.24

• I
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modules
In summary, Bland is discussing the concept of cogeneration and how it can be used to prove a theorem. He provides a straightforward example and then asks for help.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am focused on Section 4.2: Noetherian and Artinian Modules and need some help to fully understand the proof of part of Proposition 4.2.4 ... ...

Proposition 4.2.4 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=05dde20a7081ba4eb52a559921ca1799.png

I need help to fully understand Part of the proof proving that ##(2) \Longrightarrow (3)## ...In that part of the proof Bland seems to be assuming that

## \bigcap_F M_\alpha = N ##

if and only if

## \bigcap_F (M_\alpha / N ) = 0 ##
In other words, if ##F = \{ 1, 2, 3 \}## then

##M_1 \cap M_2 \cap M_3##

if and only if

##M_1 / N \cap M_2 / N \cap M_3 / N## But why exactly is this the case ... ...

... ... how do we formally and rigorously demonstrate that this is true ...Hope someone can help ...

Peter
====================================================

Proposition 4.2.4 refers to the (possibly not well known) concept of cogeneration so I am providing Section 4.1 Generating as Cogenerating Classes ... ... as follows ...

Attachments

• Bland - 1 - Proposition 4.2.4 - PART !.png
    Bland - 1 - Proposition 4.2.4 - PART !.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 716
  • Bland - 2 - Proposition 4.2.4 - PART 2.png
    Bland - 2 - Proposition 4.2.4 - PART 2.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 662
  • Bland -1 -  Section 4.1 - PART 1.png
    Bland -1 - Section 4.1 - PART 1.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 668
  • Bland  - 2 - Section 4.1 - PART 2.png
    Bland - 2 - Section 4.1 - PART 2.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 687
  • Bland  - 3 - Section 4.1 - PART 3.png
    Bland - 3 - Section 4.1 - PART 3.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 697
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by observing that
$$(\bigcap_{\alpha\in F} M_\alpha)/N=N/N$$
which is the zero element of the module ##M/N##.

So we have to show that
$$\bigcap_{\alpha\in F} (M_\alpha/N)=(\bigcap_{\alpha\in F} M_\alpha)/N\ \ \ \ \ \ \ (1)$$

First observe that if ##m\in \bigcap_{\alpha\in F} M_\alpha## then ##\forall\alpha\in F:\ m\in M_\alpha##
so that ##\forall\alpha\in F:\ m+N \in M_\alpha/N## whence
##m+N \in \bigcap_{\alpha\in F}M_\alpha/N##.

Hence we have
$$(\bigcap_{\alpha\in F} M_\alpha)/N\subseteq \bigcap_{\alpha\in F} (M_\alpha/N)$$

For the other direction of inclusion, consider an arbitrary element ##m+N## of the LHS of (1). That is, ##m+N\in \bigcap_{\alpha\in F} (M_\alpha/N)##. Then for any ##\alpha\in F## we have ##m+N\in M_\alpha/N##, so there exists ##m'\in M_\alpha## and ##n\in N## such that ##m=m'+n##, which is in ##M_\alpha## since ##n\in N\subseteq M_\alpha##. Hence ##m\in \bigcap_{\alpha\in F} M_\alpha## and therefore ##m+N## is an element of the RHS of (1).

This is not as elegant as I would like because it is late at night and I am tired. But hopefully it makes sense.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks for the help Andrew ... much appreciated...

Will be working through your post very shortly...

Thanks again ...

Peter

Thanks Andrew ... found that very clear and convincing ...

Peter

1. What is Proposition 4.24 in the context of Artinian Modules?

Proposition 4.24 in the context of Artinian Modules states that if a module has a finite composition series, then its length is equal to the number of non-isomorphic composition factors in the series.

2. What is the significance of Proposition 4.24 in Artinian Modules?

Proposition 4.24 is significant because it provides a way to determine the length of a module with a finite composition series, which is an important property in studying the structure of Artinian Modules.

3. How is Proposition 4.24 proven?

Proposition 4.24 is proven using induction on the length of the composition series of the module. The base case, where the length is 1, is proven by showing that the module has only one composition factor. The induction step is then proven by using the Jordan-Hölder theorem to show that the number of non-isomorphic composition factors increases by one when a new layer is added to the composition series.

4. Can Proposition 4.24 be extended to infinite composition series?

No, Proposition 4.24 only applies to modules with finite composition series. If the series is infinite, then the length of the module cannot be determined using this proposition.

5. How does Proposition 4.24 relate to other properties of Artinian Modules?

Proposition 4.24 is closely related to the Jordan-Hölder theorem, which states that any two composition series of a module have the same length and composition factors. It also links to the definition of Artinian Modules, which require them to have a finite composition series.