How Does Theorem 2.68 Explain Finitely Generated Groups in Algebra?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, Theorem 2.68 states that every finitely generated group can be generated by a finite set of elements, and this can be proven by showing that all cosets of the given normal subgroup are covered by a finite set of these elements.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Chapter 2: Commutative Rings in Joseph Rotman's book, Advanced Modern Algebra (Second Edition).

I am currently focussed on Theorem 2.68 [page 117] concerning finitely generated groups

I need help to the proof of this theorem.

Theorem 2.68 and its proof read as follows:View attachment 2698In the above text Rotman writes:

" ... ... if \(\displaystyle a \in A \) then \(\displaystyle \pi (a) \) is a word in the \(\displaystyle u\): there are \(\displaystyle e_j = \pm 1 \) with

\(\displaystyle \pi (a) = u_{i_1}^{e_1} ... \ ... u_{i_k}^{e_k}\) ... ... "

I am having real trouble following this proof ... can someone please explain the meaning of the above text and indicate why it follows.

Peter

[Thanks to Prove It for help with the Latex code in this post!]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is another way to look at it:

We know the $u_i$ generate $A/S$. What are these elements? They are cosets:

$u_i = x_iS$, for some $x_i \in A$.

So an element of $A/S$ is a product of some of the $u_i$, and each of those is a product of some $x_i$ with a product of the $s$'s that generate $S$.

So we have $x_1S \subseteq \langle x_i,s_1,\dots,s_m\rangle$ <---$m+1$ generators "cover" this coset.

We only need $n$ of these cosets to generate all of $A/S$, so $\langle x_1,\dots x_n,s_1,\dots s_m\rangle$ contains every coset, that is, all of $A$.

Note: we might not need "all" of these, the generating set for $A$ COULD BE smaller, but we can at least find one this small, no matter what.

Let's look at an example, so this might be made a bit clearer.

Suppose $A = S_4$, and that the normal subgroup is $V = \{e,(1\ 2)(3\ 4),(1\ 3)(2\ 4),(1\ 4)(2\ 3)\}$, which is a normal subgroup (it is a union of conjugacy classes, the trivial conjugacy class of the identity, and the double transpositions. Recall that in $S_n$ conjugating preserves cycle type).

Now $V$ is the Klein 4-group, which is generated by any two non-identity elements, let's use $(1\ 2)(3\ 4)$ and $(1\ 3)(2\ 4)$.

Now $S_4/V \cong S_3 \cong D_3$ (the symmetry group of an equilateral triangle), and the latter group also has 2 generators. It can be shown (and I urge you to do so), that:

$(1\ 2\ 3)V$ and $(1\ 2)V$ generate $S_4/V$.

So the theorem tells us that $S_4 = \langle(1\ 2\ 3),(1\ 2),(1\ 2)(3\ 4),(1\ 3)(2\ 4)\rangle$. Is this true?

Well any permutation is a product of transpositions (the transpositions generate $S_n$, for any $n$), so it suffices to show that we can generate any transposition of $S_4$ with this set. It is immediate we can generate:

(1 2) and (3 4). (the latter transposition is simply (1 2)(1 2)(3 4)).

Now we also have (1 2 3)(1 2)(1 3 2) = (2 3) in the generated group, as well as:

(1 3 2)(1 2)(1 2 3) = (1 3). Since we have (1 3) in the generated group, we get:

(1 3)(1 3)(2 4) = (2 4) as well.

Finally, since all of $V$ is in the generated group, (1 4)(2 3) is generated by our set as well, since we have already established that (2 3) is generated by our set, it follows that:

(2 3)(1 4)(2 3) = (1 4) is in the generated group as well. So our set generates:

(1 2),(1 3),(1 4),(2 3),(2 4) and (3 4), which is all 6 transpositions of $S_4$.

Note that our generating set of 4 permutations is slightly more "efficient" than using the set of 6 transpositions.

Related to How Does Theorem 2.68 Explain Finitely Generated Groups in Algebra?

What is a finitely generated group?

A finitely generated group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines any two elements to form a third element. It is generated by a finite set of elements, meaning that every element in the group can be expressed as a combination of those finite elements using the group operation.

What are some examples of finitely generated groups?

Some examples of finitely generated groups include the integers under addition, the symmetries of a regular polygon, and the dihedral groups. Other examples include free groups, which are generated by a set of symbols with no relations between them, and finite groups, which have a finite number of elements.

How are finitely generated groups different from infinitely generated groups?

The main difference between finitely generated groups and infinitely generated groups is that finitely generated groups have a finite number of generators, while infinitely generated groups have an infinite number of generators. This means that there are only a finite number of elements in a finitely generated group, while there are an infinite number of elements in an infinitely generated group.

What are some applications of finitely generated groups?

Finitely generated groups have many applications in mathematics and other areas of science. They are used in cryptography, coding theory, and algebraic topology, among others. They also have applications in physics, including in the study of crystal structures and particle interactions.

How are finitely generated groups studied and analyzed?

Finitely generated groups are studied and analyzed using various tools and techniques from group theory, such as Cayley graphs, group presentations, and group actions. These methods allow researchers to understand the structure and properties of finitely generated groups and make connections to other areas of mathematics and science.