Finitely Generated Modules and Maximal Submodules

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modules
In summary, Paul E. Bland's book "Rings and Their Modules" discusses Section 6.1 on the Jacobson Radical and Proposition 6.1.2, which relies on Zorn's Lemma and the notion of inductive sets. Bland provides a short note on Zorn's Lemma and inductive sets. In the proof of Proposition 6.1.2, Bland shows that if \mathscr{C} is a chain of submodules of \mathscr{S}, then \bigcup_\mathscr{C} is a proper submodule of M that contains N, which is necessary to show that \mathscr{S} is inductive. This is because in order to apply Zorn
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am focused on Section 6.1 The Jacobson Radical ... ...

I need help with an aspect of Proposition 6.1.2 ... ...

Proposition 6.1.2 relies on Zorn's Lemma and the notion of inductive sets ... ... so I am providing a short note from Bland on Zorn's Lemma and inductive sets ... ... as follows:
View attachment 6304
NOTE: My apologies for the poor quality of the above image - due to some over-enthusiastic highlighting of Bland's text :(Now, Proposition 6.1.2 reads as follows:

View attachment 6305

Now ... in the above proof of Proposition 6.1.2, Bland writes the following:"... ... If \(\displaystyle \mathscr{C}\) is a chain of submodules of \(\displaystyle \mathscr{S}\), then \(\displaystyle x_1 \notin \bigcup_\mathscr{C}\) , so \(\displaystyle \bigcup_\mathscr{C}\) is a proper submodule of \(\displaystyle M\) and contains \(\displaystyle N\). Hence \(\displaystyle \mathscr{S}\) is inductive ... ... My question is as follows: Why does Bland bother to show that \(\displaystyle \bigcup_\mathscr{C}\) is a proper submodule of \(\displaystyle M\) that contains \(\displaystyle N\) ... presumably he is showing that any chain of submodules in \(\displaystyle \mathscr{S}\) has an upper bound ... is that right?
... ... but why does he need to do this as the largest submodule in the chain would be an upper bound ... ... ?Hope someone can help ... ...

Peter
NOTE: My apologies for not being able to exactly reproduce Bland's embellished S in the above text ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am focused on Section 6.1 The Jacobson Radical ... ...

I need help with an aspect of Proposition 6.1.2 ... ...

Proposition 6.1.2 relies on Zorn's Lemma and the notion of inductive sets ... ... so I am providing a short note from Bland on Zorn's Lemma and inductive sets ... ... as follows:

NOTE: My apologies for the poor quality of the above image - due to some over-enthusiastic highlighting of Bland's text :(Now, Proposition 6.1.2 reads as follows:

Now ... in the above proof of Proposition 6.1.2, Bland writes the following:"... ... If \(\displaystyle \mathscr{C}\) is a chain of submodules of \(\displaystyle \mathscr{S}\), then \(\displaystyle x_1 \notin \bigcup_\mathscr{C}\) , so \(\displaystyle \bigcup_\mathscr{C}\) is a proper submodule of \(\displaystyle M\) and contains \(\displaystyle N\). Hence \(\displaystyle \mathscr{S}\) is inductive ... ... My question is as follows: Why does Bland bother to show that \(\displaystyle \bigcup_\mathscr{C}\) is a proper submodule of \(\displaystyle M\) that contains \(\displaystyle N\) ... presumably he is showing that any chain of submodules in \(\displaystyle \mathscr{S}\) has an upper bound ... is that right?
... ... but why does he need to do this as the largest submodule in the chain would be an upper bound ... ... ?Hope someone can help ... ...

Peter
NOTE: My apologies for not being able to exactly reproduce Bland's embellished S in the above text ...

The poset here is $\mathcal S$, which has only proper submodules of $M$. To apply Zorn's lemma, one needs to exhibit an upper bound of a chain lying in the poset (of course). So to make sure that the union of all the elements in the chain is actually in $\mathcal S$, one needs to check that it is a proper submodule.

caffeinemachine said:
The poset here is $\mathcal S$, which has only proper submodules of $M$. To apply Zorn's lemma, one needs to exhibit an upper bound of a chain lying in the poset (of course). So to make sure that the union of all the elements in the chain is actually in $\mathcal S$, one needs to check that it is a proper submodule.
Thanks caffeinemachine

My question was actually to do with why Bland needed \(\displaystyle \bigcup_\mathscr{C} N'\) as an upper bound for the chain \(\displaystyle \mathscr{C}\) when it seemed to me (at the time) to be possible to use the largest submodule of the chain as an upper bound ... BUT ... I now think that this does not account for the infinite case where there may be no largest element in the chain ...

My apologies for not making my question really clear ...

Peter

1. What is a finitely generated module?

A finitely generated module is a module that can be generated by a finite set of elements. This means that all elements in the module can be expressed as linear combinations of a finite number of generators.

2. What is a maximal submodule?

A maximal submodule is a submodule that is not a proper subset of any other submodule. In other words, there is no submodule contained within the maximal submodule that is not equal to the maximal submodule itself.

3. How do you determine the generators of a finitely generated module?

To determine the generators of a finitely generated module, one can use the process of module reduction. This involves finding a basis for the module and then reducing the basis to a minimal generating set, which will contain the generators of the module.

4. Can a maximal submodule be finitely generated?

Yes, a maximal submodule can be finitely generated. In fact, every finitely generated module has a maximal submodule. However, not all maximal submodules are finitely generated.

5. How are finitely generated modules and maximal submodules related?

Finitely generated modules and maximal submodules are closely related as the generators of a finitely generated module are often contained in its maximal submodule. Additionally, the maximal submodule is often the largest submodule that can be generated by a finite set of elements.