Submodules and Factor Modules of a Noetherian Module .... Bland, Proposition 4.2.5 .... ....

In summary: Q1: $M_i$ and $N$ are both submodules of $M$, therefore $M_i \cap N$ can never be empty.If $M_n \cap N = 0$ then of course $M_i \cap N = 0$ for $i \leq n$. ($0 = \{ 0 \}$ is the zero-module.)The proof, however, remains the same.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am focused on Section 4.2: Noetherian and Artinian Modules and need some help to fully understand the proof of part of Proposition 4.2.5 ... ...

Proposition 4.2.5 reads as follows:
View attachment 8188
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/8189My questions are as follows:Question 1

In the above text from Bland we read the following:

" ... ... Conversely, suppose that \(\displaystyle N\) and \(\displaystyle M/N\) are noetherian. Let\(\displaystyle M_1 \subseteq M_2 \subseteq M_3 \subseteq \ ... \ ... \)be an ascending chain of submodules of \(\displaystyle M\). Then \(\displaystyle M_1 \cap N \subseteq M_2 \cap N \subseteq M_3 \cap N \subseteq \ ... \ ...\) ... ... "My question is ... what about the case where all the \(\displaystyle M_i\) fail to intersect with \(\displaystyle N\) ... is this possible ... if so how does the proof read then ...?
Question 2

In the above text from Bland we read the following:

" ... ... If \(\displaystyle i \ge n\) and \(\displaystyle x \in M_i\) then \(\displaystyle x + N \in (M_i + N)/N = (M_n + N)/N\) ... ... "My question is ... why does \(\displaystyle x \in M_i \Longrightarrow x + N \in (M_i + N)/N\) ... ... is it because ...

\(\displaystyle x \in M_i \Longrightarrow x + 0_N + N \in (M_i + N)/N\) ...

... and \(\displaystyle x + 0_N + N = x + N\) ... ... ?
Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Q1: $M_i$ and $N$ are both submodules of $M$, therefore $M_i \cap N$ can never be empty.

If $M_n \cap N = 0$ then of course $M_i \cap N = 0$ for $i \leq n$. ($0 = \{ 0 \}$ is the zero-module.)

The proof, however, remains the same.

Q2: if $x \in M_i$ then $x \in M_i + N$ and. because $N \leq M_i + N$, we have $x + N \in (M_i + N)/N$

steenis said:
Q1: $M_i$ and $N$ are both submodules of $M$, therefore $M_i \cap N$ can never be empty.

If $M_n \cap N = 0$ then of course $M_i \cap N = 0$ for $i \leq n$. ($0 = \{ 0 \}$ is the zero-module.)

The proof, however, remains the same.

Q2: if $x \in M_i$ then $x \in M_i + N$ and. because $N \leq M_i + N$, we have $x + N \in (M_i + N)/N$
Thanks for thr help Steenis ...

Peter

1. What are submodules and factor modules of a Noetherian module?

Submodules and factor modules are two important concepts in abstract algebra, specifically in the study of modules over a ring. A submodule is a subset of a module that is itself a module over the same ring. On the other hand, a factor module is the quotient of a module by one of its submodules. In other words, it is a module that is obtained by "dividing out" a submodule from the original module.

2. How are submodules and factor modules related to Noetherian modules?

Noetherian modules are modules that satisfy a certain ascending chain condition, which essentially means that there are no infinite increasing chains of submodules. Submodules and factor modules are closely related to Noetherian modules because they also satisfy this ascending chain condition. In fact, this is one of the defining properties of Noetherian modules.

3. What is the significance of Proposition 4.2.5 in Bland's work on submodules and factor modules?

Proposition 4.2.5 in Bland's work on submodules and factor modules states that every submodule of a Noetherian module is also Noetherian. This is a significant result because it shows that the property of being Noetherian is preserved under taking submodules. This allows for a better understanding and analysis of Noetherian modules and their submodules.

4. How can Proposition 4.2.5 be applied in practical situations?

Proposition 4.2.5 can be applied in many areas of mathematics, including algebraic geometry, commutative algebra, and representation theory. For example, it can be used to show that certain rings are Noetherian, which has important implications in algebraic geometry and commutative algebra. It can also be used to prove properties of representation theory, such as the finite generation of certain modules.

5. Are there any other important properties of submodules and factor modules in Noetherian modules?

Yes, there are many other important properties of submodules and factor modules in Noetherian modules, including the fact that they are both finitely generated. This means that every submodule and factor module can be generated by a finite number of elements. This property has many applications in different areas of mathematics, making the study of submodules and factor modules in Noetherian modules a rich and important topic.