Fire Breathing Dinosaurs: Debunking a Myth

In summary: Thanks for the input.In summary, my mom is trying to convince me that dragons existed and that one particular species of dinosaur had a mechanism for expelling combustible gas from its mouth. She has provided "scientific evidence" that this could explain the fire-breathing abilities of medieval dragons, but it's all ridiculous. I'm skeptical, but if anyone has any information on where this idea may have come from I would really appreciate it.
LURCH said:
I read all of McCaffery's Pern series. Kept expecting somebody to look through a telescope, see Earth in the Middle Ages and, failing to allow for the delay, go "timing it" to Europe. This would then give rise to sightings of fire-breathing dragons in medeival lore.
:confused:
How would Pernians peering through their scopes result in reports of dragons on Earth? Wouldn't it have to be 'tother way round?

I'm missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
:confused:
How would Pernians peering through their scopes result in reports of dragons on Earth? Wouldn't it have to be 'tother way round?

I'm missing something.
LOL! OK, yeah, that was a bit confusing, I s'pose. The crucial part is not the looking, but the going. I meant that a Rider might look through a scope from a thousand light-years away, see Earth as it was a thousand years before he looked, and telepathically give his dragon that image as a destination.

This sort of thing happened occasionally in the books. A Dragon Rider would retrieve from their memory an image of a place they want to go, but would remember the place as it appeared on a particular day. The dragon would then Teleport not only to that location, but to that day.

Last edited:
LURCH said:
LOL! OK, yeah, that was a bit confusing, I s'pose. The crucial part is not the looking, but the going. I meant that a Rider might look through a scope from a thousand light-years away, see Earth as it was a thousand years before he looked, and telepathically give his dragon that image as a destination.

This sort of thing happened occasionally in the books. A Dragon Rider would retrieve from their memory an image of a place they want to go, but would remember the place as it appeared on a particular day. The dragon would then Teleport not only to that location, but to that day.

They can teleport? (That might be considered a salient detail to have mentioned.)

So, are you saying they teleport all the way to Earth?

You should listen to your mom. They are right about some things sometime. I just watched this video that shows that before the word "dinosaur" they were once refereed to as dragons in old dictionaries. This guys shows pictures of ancient drawings from all over the world that clearly have dinosaurs in them. He also shows fossils of human footprints both walking with and intersecting with dinosaurs. You really have to watch this video, it blew my mind.

Watch the video titled Dinosaurs and the Bible from here...

http://www.drdino.com/media-categories.php?c=seminars&v=10

It also shows all the MAJOR flaws in evolution and that we were lied to in school. He just blows evolution out of the water and then shoots it again... and again. I no longer see how anyone could believe it.

Watch all of this guys videos, he's smart and brings up interesting facts... And he isn't boring like most scientists and cracks lame jokes all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
GotMac said:
You should listen to your mom. They are right about some things sometime. I just watched this video that shows that before the word "dinosaur" they were once refereed to as dragons in old dictionaries. This guys shows pictures of ancient drawings from all over the world that clearly have dinosaurs in them. He also shows fossils of human footprints both walking with and intersecting with dinosaurs. You really have to watch this video, it blew my mind.

It also shows all the MAJOR flaws in evolution and that we were lied to in school. He just blows evolution out of the water and then shoots it again... and again. I no longer see how anyone could believe it.

Watch all of this guys videos, he's smart and brings up interesting facts... And he isn't boring like most scientists and cracks lame jokes all the time.

LOL! Oh dear me, aren't you aware that Talk Origins has a whole page about Kent Hovind FAQs - Examining "Dr. Dino"? Kent Hovind's website is not a reputable website for science. You had better read the whole article from the link below that will help you understand why. How can you trust someone like Kent Hovind?

"Kent Hovind and his wife Jo were convicted on all of 58 federal charges including tax evasion on November 2, 2006."
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/hovind/

If you want to really learn about evolution then read CHAPTER THREE: THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION it starts on page 11 on the following link from the American Association for the Advancement of Science. It's A STUDY GUIDE FOR THE EVOLUTION DIALOGUES. And be sure to read CHAPTER FIVE: THE SCIENCE BEHIND EVOLUTION. http://www.aaas.org/spp/dser/images_Doser/Publications/evol_dialogue_study_guide.pdf

GotMac said:

What is more likely: that all of modern science is a sham and all the worlds scientists are part of a vast conspiracy or that 'Dr. Dino' with his degree in religious education from an unaccredited university doesn't know what he's talking about?

David let's see if GotMac answers our questions. Of course, he claims that he was lied to in school. This leads me to think he might possibly be a messenger boy for Kent Hovind. Kent Hovind is a crackpot! Any crediable scientist knows that to be the truth.

I wouldn't get too excited, pretty good chance it was a troll...

Hi David. Very good possibility. :smile: I'm going to search the forums. Sometimes they run in a pack.

davidsnider said:
i wouldn't get too excited, pretty good chance it was a troll...

> 90%

"
pzona said:
Before I start, I want to make sure you all realize that I'm completely serious; this isn't a joke.

So my mom is religious, and I'm not. Since I'm into science, she likes to try to provide all kinds of "scientific facts" to back up intelligent design, most of which is simply made up or draws fallacious conclusions. A little background information: she claims that dinosaurs existed at the same time as humans. She uses this as a possible explanation of the existence of medieval "dragons," saying that maybe a small group of dinosaurs survived whatever catastrophe wiped them out, and roamed Europe until the sixteenth century. Just want to stress again, this is completely serious.

Here's where things get interesting. She has also claimed that there exists scientific evidence that one certain species of dinosaur (she couldn't tell me which one it was) had some type of organ that allowed it to expel combustible gas from its mouth, which (somehow) caught fire, which may explain the fire breathing qualities of medieval dragons.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but I feel like I have to. Being a discovery channel addict for the last twelve years of my life, I can't really say anything is impossible in the animal kingdom, but this whole idea of fire breathing dinosaurs is just ridiculous. I guess what I'm trying to say is, this is ********...right? Does anyone have any information on where this idea may have come from? I can't even imagine a credible scientific report on anything that could possibly be twisted into a conclusion like "some dinosaurs could breathe fire." Any help is appreciated.
"

Dear OP pzona, you could share with your mother this article. She might pass on the "mythical dragons" and learn something about NASA's search of Interstellar Dragon Fire by Bill Steigerwald,
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.

Ancient explorers set sail expecting to encounter dragons on the world's unknown oceans. NASA's twin Voyager spacecraft are searching for dragons of a different sort as they enter the boundary of our solar system – cosmic "dragons" that breathe a strange fire of high-speed atomic fragments called cosmic rays.

Just as mythical dragons were expected to inhabit stormy seas, these cosmic dragons could be found among turbulent magnetic fields powered by the colliding winds of stars, including our sun. The winds clash at the edge of our solar system, and space physicists wonder if these dragons may be found there, or if they are even more distant in interstellar space.

"Does a great dragon, in the form of a cosmic-ray accelerator, lurk within the turbulent boundary of our solar system to breathe out the fire of cosmic rays, or do these rays arise from even more powerful dragons somewhere in deep space?" asks Dr. John Cooper of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

Cosmic rays can cause cancer in unprotected astronauts, and a better understanding of where and how cosmic rays are accelerated will improve predictions of how many will be encountered as astronauts set sail on the new ocean of space.

This ocean is not empty. The sun exhales a thin, hot wind of electrically conducting gas, called plasma, into space at many hundreds of miles per second. This solar wind forms a large plasma bubble, called the heliosphere, in space around the Sun. Beyond the orbit of Pluto, the solar wind gradually slows as it interacts with inflowing neutral gases from interstellar space, and then abruptly drops in speed to about 30 miles per second (50 kilometers/second) at a thin, invisible boundary around our solar system called the termination shock.

continuation...

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2007/dragon_fire.html

Last edited:
I'm not a troll for your information. And this message was inteded for the guy who started this forum page. I'm just saying evolutionism is flawed and it doesn't take a genius to see that.

Why is it that evolutionist think that white people evolved from black people when the fact is that would be de-evolution because black people can run faster, jump higher, don't get sun burned, naturally have really white teeth, and many others also believe they have the best singing voices.

Or explain how every culture around the world how there own form of music through evolution... What is the purpose of music? All it is, is a bunch of sounds and frequencies put into a certain order but people love it and there is no reason behind it.

Why is it that every nation that white man explored and even white man himself, has their own belief in some kind of God or Spirits and believe that they are supposed to worship it?

These are just a few flaws that I see myself in evolution.

GotMac said:
These are just a few flaws that I see myself in evolution.

These are not flaws in evolution; they are chasms in your knowledge.

It's great that you are asking questions. Questions are the gateway to knowledge. Your questions can be all be answered with a bit of education in the subject. If you're interested, why don't you take a few bioscience courses. It beats being ignorant.