Firefighter sliding down a pole

In summary: The problem is that the firefighter needs to reduce her landing velocity as much as possible for a safe landing.
petrichortea
Homework Statement
A firefighter whose weight is 812 N is sliding down a vertical pole,
her speed increasing at the rate of 1.8 m/s2. Gravity and friction are the two significant forces acting on her. What is the magnitude of the frictional force?
Relevant Equations
w=mg
a=F-net/m
F-net=F-fk
First, I solved for the firefighters mass and got 82.9kg.
Then, I plugged in the mass and the 1.8m/s2 acceleration into a=Fnet/m
This is where I get confused. I think I'm supposed to use Fnet = F-fk to solve for fk (and that would be the answer?) but I don't know what to input for F.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, @petrichortea !
What force is pulling the man downwards?
What force is resisting that downwards movement?

Lnewqban said:
Welcome, @petrichortea !
What force is resisting that downwards movement?
Gravity is pulling down.
N is resisting, I think. Which is normal force, according to my class notes

petrichortea said:
Gravity is pulling down.
Irrelevant to the question, which outright gives you the downwards force, the net downwards acceleration, and asks for the upwards force (which, in this case is provided by friction, but could just as well be rocket boots or something).

petrichortea said:
Gravity is pulling down.
Not quite on the second part.

petrichortea said:
Gravity and friction are the two significant forces acting on her. What is the magnitude of the frictional force?

This is where I get confused. I think I'm supposed to use Fnet = F-fk to solve for fk (and that would be the answer?) but I don't know what to input for F.
The net force is the vector sum of all the forces acting on the firefighter.
You are told that gravity and friction are the two significant forces acting on her.
If Fnet = F - fk and fk is friction, what could F possibly be?

petrichortea said:
Gravity is pulling down.
Friction against the pole is what is preventing gravity to accelerate the firefighter to slide downwards in free fall (acceleration of 9.81 m/s2).
Why is the downwards acceleration the given 1.8 m/s2?

Normal force and coefficient of friction of hands and legs against the pole create that friction force that slows the fall down.
In this problem, the question is the magnitude of that friction force.

What happens if that force becomes bigger and bigger until being as big as the weight of the person?

petrichortea said:
N is resisting, I think. Which is normal force
A normal force exerted by one body on another is defined to be the contact force at right angles ("normal ") to their contact surface. The pole is vertical, so the normal force it exerts on the firefighter is horizontal. It cannot resist a vertical force such as gravity.

The frictional force of contact is parallel to the surfaces, so in this case is vertical and will resist gravity.

Here are the two big hints:
petrichortea said:
Gravity and friction are the two significant forces acting on her.
So keep that in mind.
petrichortea said:
Ok, so you have the net force Fnet.

petrichortea said:
Fnet is the total force and fk friction. What force other than friction has been mentioned as relevant? (See above.)

Lnewqban said:
Woman:
petrichortea said:
… down a vertical pole,
her speed increasing at the rate of 1.8 m/s2.

Likes PeroK
So, based on your (all) help. I think I've figured out that F is her weight - but in Newtons not kg. I came up with 662.78 N as an answer. That's 67.6 kg of frictional force acting on her 82.8 kg weight. That's a lot more friction than my gut feeling was expecting but that's what the numbers say so now I'm waiting to find out!
Thank you!

Lnewqban said:
Woman:
petrichortea said:
… down a vertical pole,
her speed increasing at the rate of 1.8 m/s2.

Call the Fed's! Lnewqban accidentally misgendered the imaginary firefighter in the back story!

• Wow
Likes Algr and Lnewqban
petrichortea said:
So, based on your (all) help. I think I've figured out that F is her weight - but in Newtons not kg. I came up with 662.78 N as an answer. That's 67.6 kg of frictional force acting on her 82.8 kg weight. That's a lot more friction than my gut feeling was expecting but that's what the numbers say so now I'm waiting to find out!
Thank you!
Units for force are never kilograms, which is reserved for mass.
You can have a mass, but you will not have a force associated to it, until you see some acceleration.
Gravity is a constantly present acceleration, reason for which it is easy to confuse mass with force in daily life.

The problem is that the firefighter needs to reduce her landing velocity as much as possible for a safe landing.
Commercial elevators don’t accelerate passengers above 1 m/s.s.

Lnewqban said:
Units for force are never kilograms, which is reserved for mass.
You can have a mass, but you will not have a force associated to it, until you see some acceleration.
I think that's where my confusion comes in - I can imaging Fahrenheit and Celsius, kilograms and pounds...but Newtons a foreign concept so it's hard to "see" it in my minds eye.

Likes Lnewqban
petrichortea said:
I can [imagine] … kilograms and pounds...but Newtons a foreign concept
Or maybe it's the other way about. When you imagine a kg, you are probably thinking about its weight in your hand, but that's not a kg - it's a force of 9.81N. To have a feel for a mass of 1kg you need to think in terms of inertia, of the force needed to accelerate it at some rate across a smooth flat surface. For a given rate of acceleration that would be the same on the moon as on Earth.

Likes Lnewqban and Orodruin
haruspex said:
Or maybe it's the other way about. When you imagine a kg, you are probably thinking about its weight in your hand, but that's not a kg - it's a force of 9.81N. To have a feel for a mass of 1kg you need to think in terms of inertia, of the force needed to accelerate it at some rate across a smooth flat surface. For a given rate of acceleration that would be the same on the moon as on Earth.
In other words, what is being imagined is likely the units of kgf (kilogram-force or kilopond) and lbf (pound-force), which are units of weight.

petrichortea said:
I think that's where my confusion comes in - I can imaging Fahrenheit and Celsius, kilograms and pounds...but Newtons a foreign concept so it's hard to "see" it in my minds eye.
Wait until you deal with Pascals (pressure unit = N/m2)! :smile:

It is a common confusion in many regions of the world.
I understand you, as I received an education based on the old technical units of kilogram-force, for which the weight of one cubic meter of pure cold water was 1 ton or 1000 kgf.

petrichortea said:
Homework Statement:: A firefighter whose weight is 812 N is sliding down a vertical pole,
her speed increasing at the rate of 1.8 m/s2. Gravity and friction are the two significant forces acting on her. What is the magnitude of the frictional force?
Relevant Equations:: w=mg
a=F-net/m
F-net=F-fk

First, I solved for the firefighters mass and got 82.9kg.
I would look at it like this. ##812N## is her weight, which is the force of gravity acting on her. We know that the acceleration of gravity is ##g = 9.8 \ m/s^2##. That would be her acceleration in free fall, under the full gravitational force of ##812N##.

Now let's try various frictional forces, ##f##, and calculate the net acceleration:

##f = 0, \ a = g = 9.8 \ m/s^2##

##f = 81N = 0.1g, \ a = 0.9g = 8.82 \ m/s##

##f = 162N = 0.2g, \ a = 0.8g = 7.84 \ m/s^2##

And, hopefully, you can see what's happening. In order to reduce the acceleration to ##1.8 \ m/s^2##, which is about ##0.18 g##, we need a frictional force of over 80% of her weight. That must be about ##660 N##.

Likes Lnewqban

1. How do firefighters slide down a pole?

Firefighters slide down a pole by gripping the pole with both hands and using their body weight to control their descent. They also use their legs to push off the pole and control their speed.

2. Why do firefighters slide down a pole?

Firefighters slide down a pole to quickly and efficiently get from the upper floors of a fire station to the ground floor where the fire trucks and equipment are located. This allows them to respond to emergencies faster.

3. Is sliding down a pole safe for firefighters?

Yes, sliding down a pole is a safe and common practice for firefighters. They are trained in the proper technique and use safety equipment, such as gloves, to protect their hands.

4. How fast can firefighters slide down a pole?

The speed at which firefighters can slide down a pole varies depending on their weight and the length of the pole. On average, firefighters can slide down a pole at a speed of 10-15 feet per second.

5. How do firefighters climb back up the pole?

Firefighters use a special ladder or stairs located next to the pole to climb back up to the upper floors of the fire station. This ensures a safe and controlled ascent.