First approach to differential forms

In summary: Understand infinitesimals and differential forms are both very important when learning thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. However, a differential form is now nothing else but a representation of an "infinitesimal volume measurement". I first learned this from Lee's "introduction to smooth manifolds", which I still think is a very good place to learn this, certainly if you already intuitively know what a wedge is from geometric algebra.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
What do Physics Forums members regard as the best first introduction to differential forms ...?

Physics news on Phys.org
What math background do you have?

JonnyG said:
What math background do you have?

I am about at senior undergraduate level in algebra and analysis ...

Peter

I offer a very nontraditional approach (as seems to be usual with me). I think the best approach is first to understand geometric algebra (or Clifford algebra as mathematicians call it). In this way, you will appreciate the intuition behind the wedge product, cross product, etc. For this, I recommend Alan MacDonald's "Linear and geometric algebra". Just read part II, the rest you will likely you know already. This might be too easy, but there are much more mathematical approaches to this if you desire.

Understand infinitesimals is also very important, but as you're a senior in mathematics, you likely already have an appreciation for this. Anyway, a differential form is now nothing else but a representation of an "infinitesimal volume measurement". I first learned this from Lee's "introduction to smooth manifolds", which I still think is a very good place to learn this, certainly if you already intuitively know what a wedge is from geometric algebra.

Likes Math Amateur
Math Amateur said:
What do Physics Forums members regard as the best first introduction to differential forms ...?
I have a copy of Weintraub's book on differential forms (Differential Forms by Steven H. Weintraub) ... and was browsing it and wondering whether to use it on my first approach to differential forms ... then I found that Weintraub made the unconventional decision not to use the wedge ( [itex] \wedge [/itex] ) in his notation ... I was a bit put off by this decision as I wanted a conventional notational approach ... at least for my first approach ... but I have wondering whether I need worry about his notational approach ... maybe he just drops the wedge from the notation as it is superfluous as he says in Remark 1.1.8 on pages 9-10 ... as follows:

?temp_hash=c6d07089d3c28ed597bafa39590b31fb.png

?temp_hash=c6d07089d3c28ed597bafa39590b31fb.png
What do you think? Is this something that matters ... even for a first approach ... or do you need conventional notation for a first approach so you can recognise the theory in other books ... ?

Peter*** NOTE *** I note that Weintraub has a large number of very explicit and helpful looking computational examples ... which is a BIG plus in my opinion ...

Attachments

• Weintraub - 1 - Remark 1.1.8 - Pages 9 - PART1.png
    Weintraub - 1 - Remark 1.1.8 - Pages 9 - PART1.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 626
  • Weintraub - 2 - Remark 1.1.8 - Pages 10  - PART 2     .png
    Weintraub - 2 - Remark 1.1.8 - Pages 10 - PART 2 .png
    7.1 KB · Views: 678
micromass said:
I offer a very nontraditional approach (as seems to be usual with me). I think the best approach is first to understand geometric algebra (or Clifford algebra as mathematicians call it). In this way, you will appreciate the intuition behind the wedge product, cross product, etc. For this, I recommend Alan MacDonald's "Linear and geometric algebra". Just read part II, the rest you will likely you know already. This might be too easy, but there are much more mathematical approaches to this if you desire.

Understand infinitesimals is also very important, but as you're a senior in mathematics, you likely already have an appreciation for this. Anyway, a differential form is now nothing else but a representation of an "infinitesimal volume measurement". I first learned this from Lee's "introduction to smooth manifolds", which I still think is a very good place to learn this, certainly if you already intuitively know what a wedge is from geometric algebra.
Thanks micromass ... appreciate the thought ... I will look up the text by MacDonald ...

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Math Amateur
My second semester as a graduate student required a course in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. The professor taught the subject using differential forms. One semester later I had to complete a course in Classical Electrodynamics, and I had the same professor. Believe it or not, he taught the course using differential forms. Funny.
Lucky.;'
I had the usual EM courses (out of Jackson) after I transferred to another school many years later. My employer also encouraged me to take EM courses in 1985-6 (out of Jackson) while working full-time in order to keep current.

Likes Math Amateur

Related to First approach to differential forms

What are differential forms?

Differential forms are mathematical objects used to study multivariable calculus. They are a generalization of vector calculus to higher dimensions and can be used to describe geometric concepts such as curves, surfaces, and volumes.

How are differential forms different from traditional calculus?

Differential forms are defined in terms of the exterior derivative operator, which is a more general concept than the partial derivatives used in traditional calculus. This allows for a more elegant and concise way of representing multivariable functions and geometric concepts.

What is the significance of differential forms in physics?

Differential forms are used in physics to describe physical quantities, such as electric and magnetic fields, in a more elegant and coordinate-independent way. This allows for a more general understanding of physical laws and makes calculations easier.

How can differential forms be used in applied mathematics?

Differential forms can be applied in various fields of mathematics, such as differential geometry, topology, and dynamical systems. They provide a powerful tool for studying complex systems and can be used to solve problems in areas such as fluid dynamics, elasticity, and electromagnetism.

Are differential forms difficult to learn?

While differential forms may seem intimidating at first, they are a natural extension of traditional calculus and can be easily learned with the right resources. With practice, they can become a powerful tool for solving a wide range of mathematical and physical problems.