First autonomous drone attack on humans (alleged by the UN)

• Thread starter sbrothy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drone
In summary, during the 2020 war in Nargorno-Karabakh, the UN reported that a STM Kargu autonomous kamikaze drone attacked Haftar's forces in Libya using its artificial intelligence without command. This is believed to be the first drone attack in history carried out by a loitering munition on its own initiative. Despite debates surrounding the use of autonomous weapons, they have been in existence since the eighties and have led to changes in tactics and laws of war. However, there is a risk that this technology could fall into the hands of enemies, terrorists, or criminals.
sbrothy
Gold Member
It may be old news but it still kinda sends a chill down my spine.During the "recent" 2020 war in Nargorno-Karabakh appearently the UN claims that an STM Kargu autonomous kamikaze drone loaded with explosives detected and attacked Haftar's forces in Libya with its artificial intelligence without command. It is considered the first drone attack in history carried out by a loitering munition on it's "own" initiative.Hello Skynet! :)

EDIT: I'm a little behind because this conflict didnt receive much coverage where I live.
EDIT2: And funnily enough the war was appearently fought over Covid-19 restrictions!

Physics news on Phys.org
sbrothy said:
It is considered the first drone attack in history carried out by a loitering munition on it's "own" initiative.
I'd be curious to try to dissect how they split the hair to declare this the first, vs the many autonomous drones/weapons we've had and used for decades.

I suppose land and sea mines don't qualify for some reason? Autonomous anti-radiation missiles?

• Informative
Likes Klystron, Bystander, Vanadium 50 and 2 others
russ_watters said:
I'd be curious to try to dissect how they split the hair to declare this the first, vs the many autonomous drones/weapons we've had and used for decades.

I suppose land and sea mines don't qualify for some reason? Autonomous anti-radiation missiles?
Yeah. I'm also pretty sure that the people who were killed don't really care about the distinction., autonomous weapons has been around since the eighties. Still, aot of debate is appereantly going on these days about whether to ban them. Fat chance.

Likes russ_watters
sbrothy said:
It may be old news but it still kinda sends a chill down my spine.During the "recent" 2020 war in Nargorno-Karabakh appearently the UN claims that an STM Kargu autonomous kamikaze drone loaded with explosives detected and attacked Haftar's forces in Libya with its artificial intelligence without command. It is considered the first drone attack in history carried out by a loitering munition on it's "own" initiative.
s!
The locations are mixed up - what does Nargorno-Karabakh (which is a disputed region in the Caucuses) have to do with Libya?

A landmine is a 'loitering' munition - and unlike a drone cannot easily be turned off - so maybe this is a lesser evil? I don't really see the distinction between launching a 'dumb' missile and a drone that will seek and attack some random target.

BWV said:
A landmine is a 'loitering' munition - and unlike a drone cannot easily be turned off - so maybe this is a lesser evil?
I think so. The purpose of most automation and/or "smart" technology I can think of is efficiency (and this can be expanded backwards in time/technology somewhat). More effectively hitting your target means less munitions used and less collateral damage. It has enabled changes in tactics and laws of war that have unquestionably led to smaller, shorter, safer and more decisive wars. A cynic could say safety is an unintended biproduct, but it's very real regardless.

There is always a risk (certainty?) that new tech will be used by our enemies, terrorists or even ordinary criminals, and this tech is already dropping into that domain:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Caracas_drone_attack

But I don't get allusions to Skynet/War Games/Strangelove. This isn't the same system as that. Those are AI strategic control systems, not individual weapons. They are fundamentally different in purpose/scope.

Likes BWV

1. What was the purpose of the first autonomous drone attack on humans?

The purpose of the first autonomous drone attack on humans was to eliminate a specific target or targets without direct human involvement. This type of attack is often used in military operations to reduce the risk to human soldiers.

2. How was the autonomous drone attack carried out?

The autonomous drone attack was carried out using drones that were programmed to identify and attack a specific target without human intervention. These drones are equipped with advanced technologies such as artificial intelligence and target recognition systems.

3. Is the use of autonomous drones legal?

The use of autonomous drones is a controversial topic and the legality of their use is still being debated. Some argue that they violate human rights and international laws, while others argue that they are an effective tool in military operations and can save lives.

4. What are the potential consequences of autonomous drone attacks on humans?

Potential consequences of autonomous drone attacks on humans include civilian casualties, ethical concerns, and the potential for these attacks to become more widespread and uncontrollable. There is also a fear that these technologies could fall into the wrong hands and be used for malicious purposes.

5. How can we ensure accountability for autonomous drone attacks on humans?

There is currently no clear system in place for holding individuals or governments accountable for the use of autonomous drone attacks on humans. Some suggest implementing stricter regulations and oversight, while others argue for a complete ban on their use. However, finding a solution to ensure accountability remains a complex and ongoing issue.

Back