First edition of Ballentine's Quantum Mechanics book

In summary: It would seem that the main difference between the editions is that the second edition has updated material on quantum information.
marco21
Hi. I just received a copy of Ballentine's "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" ordered from Amazon, after I heard well of it in this site. I'm wondering what edition I've bought: the one I've got has a white hardcover, and its ISBN is 9789810227074.
Does someone ever used this edition? Why when I look at stores all the copies of this book come with a different cover and/or ISBN (for example: 978-9810241056)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just from the isbn I’d say you’ve got an earlier edition. I think isbns are requested from some authority and the value always increases as time goes along.

Isn’t there some publishing on the flip side of the title page? You might find a year published.

The book was published in 1998, as the first (perhaps?) edition, but the author states in the preface that "This edition contains a considerable amount of new material". I got it at a very low price compared to the fancy-colored-cover edition (twenty euros vs. sixty plus something) and I was curious to know why. Maybe this printing has typos inside?

Yes revisions are done as needed and often just published without saying that it’s a new edition as they deemed the changes small. When chapters are added, dropped or reorganized then it’s a new edition.

In the preface of the 1998 edition of his book, Ballentine references an older 1990 edition of the book as "first edition". The current edition with the added "second edition" in the title is from 2014. So there are actually three editions which are referenced confusingly.

The differences between the 1990 and the 1998 editions seem to be substancial. The differences between the 1998 and the 2014 edition seem to be mostly the added chapter on quantum information. Here's a thread about the appearance of the current edition.

Likes Demystifier
It seems that the edition I got is the hardcover edition published in may 1998. I find the book very well-written, and, at least the very first chapters, a very peaceful reading. Does buying the second edition worth the difference in price?

What is the significance of the first edition of Ballentine's Quantum Mechanics book?

The first edition of Ballentine's Quantum Mechanics book is significant because it was the first comprehensive textbook on quantum mechanics to be published in the English language. It introduced many important concepts and mathematical techniques that are still used in the study of quantum mechanics today.

When was the first edition of Ballentine's Quantum Mechanics book published?

The first edition of Ballentine's Quantum Mechanics book was published in 1970.

What are the major differences between the first edition and later editions of Ballentine's Quantum Mechanics book?

The first edition of Ballentine's Quantum Mechanics book is known for its clear and concise explanations, while later editions have added more advanced topics and mathematical formalism. Additionally, the first edition included a chapter on the philosophical implications of quantum mechanics, which was removed in later editions.

Is the first edition of Ballentine's Quantum Mechanics book still relevant today?

Many concepts and techniques presented in the first edition of Ballentine's Quantum Mechanics book are still relevant and widely used in the study of quantum mechanics. However, some advancements and updates have been made in the field since 1970, so it may not be the most up-to-date resource.

Is the first edition of Ballentine's Quantum Mechanics book suitable for beginners?

While the first edition of Ballentine's Quantum Mechanics book is known for its clear explanations, it is a comprehensive and advanced textbook that may be better suited for students with some prior knowledge of quantum mechanics. It may be more challenging for beginners, but can still be a valuable resource with the help of a knowledgeable instructor or additional supplementary materials.