First Law of Thermodynamics

Therefore, dU=C_V dT, and for an isothermal process dT=0 which implies dU=0.In summary, for the given problem, the work done is -nRTln(Pf/Pi), the change in internal energy is 0, the heat absorbed is -W, and the change in enthalpy is also 0.
Sixty3

Homework Statement

5 litres of an ideal gas which is initially at 300K and 10atm, and is expanded to a final pressure of 1atm. Find work done, change in internal energy, heat absorbed and change in enthalpy of the system if the process is isothermal and reversible.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
dU=dQ+W

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to check if I have the correct method here.
So using PiVi=nRT to find the number of moles, then the work done is -nRTln(Vf/Vi), where Vf/Vi is the ratio Pi/Pf. Because it is an isothermal process dU=0 → dQ=-W. Also the change in enthalpy will be zero.

Thank you for any help.

(I have posted this here because there is a second part to the question which I may need help for, but I just want to check if I have the right idea).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, sixty3.

Your work looks good to me.

Looks good. You may want to add why dU=0, becuase for an isothermal process, in general dU is not necessarily zero. It is true because dU, for a system which changes its volume by dV and temperature by dT, dU is also given by:

[itex]\textrm{d}U=C_V \textrm{d}T + \left ( \frac{\partial U}{\partial V} \right )_T \textrm{d}V[/itex]

And you also know that for a perfect gas, [itex]U(T)=U(0)+C_V T[/itex], the internal energy for a perfect gas has no volume dependence because there are no intermolecular interactions.

1. What is the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does the First Law of Thermodynamics relate to heat and work?

The First Law of Thermodynamics states that the total energy in a system must remain constant. This means that any increase in heat energy must be balanced by a decrease in work energy or vice versa. In other words, energy can be transferred between heat and work, but the total amount of energy will remain the same.

3. What is an example of the First Law of Thermodynamics in action?

A common example of the First Law of Thermodynamics is a car engine. The fuel is burned, creating heat energy, which is then converted into work energy to power the car. The total amount of energy remains the same, but it is simply being converted from one form to another.

4. Can the First Law of Thermodynamics be violated?

No, the First Law of Thermodynamics is a universal law that has been proven to hold true in all physical systems. It is a fundamental principle of energy and cannot be violated.

5. How is the First Law of Thermodynamics related to the conservation of energy?

The First Law of Thermodynamics is essentially a statement of the conservation of energy. It states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. This means that the total amount of energy in a system must remain constant, just as the law of conservation of energy states.