First Order Differential Equations, given initial value....

In summary, after following all the steps in the online homework, WileyPlus insists that you are wrong. You redid the problem multiple times and came to the same answer. Using the initial values, you found that C=\frac{9}{4}\pi^2-1.
nuggz619
I'm having trouble with this problem... I am almost certain that I have the first part correct which is solving the first order DiffEQ using an integrating factor. I think that I am computing the constant incorrectly. I have followed all steps, including the similar problem given on WileyPlus online homework... However, when I enter my final solution WileyPlus insists that I am wrong.

Can someone please look over my work to see If i did it correctly? I've been stuck on this problem for over 2 hours now and I just can't seem to come up with the solution that WileyPlus online wants me to come up with.

The funny thing is that the equivalent question in my textbook has a similar answer to mine, however it is slightly different because my online homework (WileyPlus) gave me the initial condition y(pi/2) = 9... where as my text gives initial condition y(pi/2) = 1...

Here is a picture of the first part of the problem that I computed... which according to wolfram Alpha plus, is correct.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9dQB0QE48ufNHpRRWptRDRBQkE/edit?usp=sharing

When I computed C, given initial condition y(pi/2) = 9... I came up with
C = (4 - 9pi^2)/4

for a final answer of...

y(t) = ( sin(t) - tcos(t) + (4-9pi^2)/4 ) / t^2

However, Wiley Plus insists that my answer is incorrect. I have redone this problem probably 5 or 6 times and i keep coming up with the same answer.

I am literally stuck!

Please help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The document to which you have posted a link requires permission to view...I have requested permission, under the username gaussian3142. Once I have permission, I will work the problem to see what I find, and post the problem so that others do not have to follow a link. :D

MarkFL said:
The document to which you have posted a link requires permission to view...I have requested permission, under the username gaussian3142. Once I have permission, I will work the problem to see what I find, and post the problem so that others do not have to follow a link. :D

I'm so sorry... I just made it public

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9dQB0QE48ufNHpRRWptRDRBQkE/edit?usp=sharing

here is the link again

Okay, we are given the IVP:

\(\displaystyle t\frac{dy}{dt}+2y=\sin(t)\) where \(\displaystyle y\left(\frac{\pi}{2} \right)=9\)

Multiply the ODE by $t$:

\(\displaystyle t^2\frac{dy}{dt}+2ty=t\sin(t)\)

The left side is the differentiation of a product:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\left(t^2y \right)=t\sin(t)\)

Integrate with respect to $t$:

\(\displaystyle \int\,d\left(t^2y \right)=\int t\sin(t)\,dt\)

\(\displaystyle t^2y=\sin(t)-t\cos(t)+C\)

Thus, the general solution is:

\(\displaystyle y(t)=\frac{\sin(t)-t\cos(t)+C}{t^2}\)

So far so good, this is equivalent to your working.

Now, using the initial values to determine the value of the parameter $C$, we may write:

\(\displaystyle y\left(\frac{\pi}{2} \right)=\frac{1+C}{\left(\frac{\pi}{2} \right)^2}=9\,\therefore\,C=\frac{9}{4}\pi^2-1\)

This is the negative of the value for the parameter you found.

Thank you so much... I can't believe that I made such an idiotic mistake... BAH!

you are a life saver.

Related to First Order Differential Equations, given initial value....

1. What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivative. It is in the form of dy/dx = f(x,y), where dy/dx represents the derivative of the function y with respect to x, and f(x,y) represents the function itself.

2. What is an initial value in a first order differential equation?

An initial value in a first order differential equation refers to the value of the dependent variable (usually denoted as y) at a specific independent variable (usually denoted as x). It is used to find the particular solution of the differential equation.

3. How do you solve a first order differential equation with initial values?

The most common method to solve a first order differential equation with initial values is by using the method of separation of variables. This involves separating the variables on either side of the equation and then integrating both sides. The initial value is then used to find the constant of integration and obtain the particular solution.

4. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial first order differential equation?

An ordinary first order differential equation involves only one independent variable, while a partial first order differential equation involves more than one independent variable. The method for solving these two types of differential equations is also different.

5. How are first order differential equations used in science?

First order differential equations are used in various fields of science to model and understand natural phenomena. They are used in physics to describe the motion of objects, in biology to model population growth, and in chemistry to describe chemical reactions. They also have applications in engineering, economics, and other fields.