First order differential equations (movement of a rotary solenoid)

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation and the attempt at finding the general solution using integration. The correct solution involves using separation of variables and taking the natural logarithm.
Ben_Walker1978
Homework Statement
The movement of a rotary solenoid is given by the following differential equation
Relevant Equations
$${5} \frac{\text{d}\theta}{\text{d}t}+{6}\theta=0$$
My question i am trying to solve:

Untitled.png

I have successfully done first order equations before but this one has got me a little stuck. My attempt at the general solution below:

$${5} \frac{\text{d}\theta}{\text{d}t}=-6\theta$$

$${5} \frac{\text{d}\theta}{\text{d}t} =\frac{\text{-6}\theta}{5}$$

$$d\theta = \frac{-6\theta}{5} dt $$

The integral should then = $$\theta = \frac{1}{5} in(5)$$

$$\theta = -6 \times (\frac{1}{5}) in (5) + c$$

This is my attempt an the general solution. Is this correct? Or could anyone help if i have gone wrong please?

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
¥frac{d¥theta}{¥theta}=-¥frac{6}{5} dt
You can integrate the both sides.

Edit to fix broken LaTeX:
##\frac{d \theta} \theta = -\frac 6 5 dt##

Last edited by a moderator:
Ben_Walker1978 said:
Homework Statement:: The movement of a rotary solenoid is given by the following differential equation
Relevant Equations:: $${5} \frac{\text{d}\theta}{\text{d}t}+{6}\theta=0$$

My question i am trying to solve:

View attachment 300338

I have successfully done first order equations before but this one has got me a little stuck. My attempt at the general solution below:

$${5} \frac{\text{d}\theta}{\text{d}t}=-6\theta$$

$${5} \frac{\text{d}\theta}{\text{d}t} =\frac{\text{-6}\theta}{5}$$

$$d\theta = \frac{-6\theta}{5} dt $$

The integral should then = $$\theta = \frac{1}{5} in(5)$$

$$\theta = -6 \times (\frac{1}{5}) in (5) + c$$
There is no "in" function. If you're reading this off your calculator it is ln (lowercase ell n), short for logarithmus naturalis, or in English, natural logarithm.
Ben_Walker1978 said:
This is my attempt an the general solution. Is this correct? Or could anyone help if i have gone wrong please?
No, your solution is not correct.
Going from ##\frac{d\theta} \theta = -6/5 dt##, you should get ##\ln|\theta| = -6/5t + C##
How do then solve for ##\theta## in that equation?
Ben_Walker1978 said:
Thank you

If θo it is θ(t) for t=0 then θ(t)=θo*e^(-6/5*t). How to get it?​

The solution to these type of differential equations is called separation of variables. Where the idea is, to separate the infinitesimal dx and dy on opposite sides of the equal signs (if possible). Then integrate with respect to each infinitesimal on each side. Do not forget your constant of integration on the right.

Likes Babadag

1. What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivative. It is called "first order" because it involves only the first derivative of the function.

2. How is a first order differential equation used to model the movement of a rotary solenoid?

A first order differential equation can be used to model the movement of a rotary solenoid by representing the motion of the solenoid as a function of time and its derivative, which is the velocity. This allows us to determine the position and velocity of the solenoid at any given time.

3. What factors affect the first order differential equation for a rotary solenoid?

The first order differential equation for a rotary solenoid can be affected by factors such as the magnetic field strength, the number of turns in the coil, the size and shape of the solenoid, and the material properties of the solenoid.

4. How does the solution to the first order differential equation relate to the behavior of a rotary solenoid?

The solution to the first order differential equation represents the position and velocity of the rotary solenoid at any given time. By analyzing the solution, we can determine the behavior of the solenoid, such as its speed, acceleration, and any oscillations or dampening effects.

5. Can a first order differential equation accurately predict the movement of a rotary solenoid?

Yes, a first order differential equation can accurately predict the movement of a rotary solenoid if all the relevant factors and initial conditions are known. However, in some cases, the equation may not be able to account for external factors that can affect the solenoid's movement, such as friction or external forces.