First, second, third and fourth generation + Python and Javascript

In summary: It is interpreted, which makes it convenient to use in a web page, but it is also a general-purpose language that can be used in a variety of applications.
Trying2Learn
TL;DR Summary
How would one categorize Python and Javascript
Good Morning

I have understood, as a general rule and category (and I realize all such attempts to categorize are fraught with danger), the four generations
of languages, from as machine (first generation), to assembly (second generation), to compilable (third generation; e.g., C, FORTRAN) and finally, interpretive (fourth generation) like Matlab.

I also realize that Java, with its interpreter, is still a kind of compilable language

However, I am unable to place languages like Python or Javascript into this. Neither need to be compiled, both run on web pages, yet there does not seem to be an interpreter either.

How would one categorize these last two languages?

Technology news on Phys.org
I would say that there are far more than 4 categories. Your four generations is an oversimplification. And in chronology, the four you cite overlap in time.

Trying2Learn said:
How would one categorize these last two languages?
One generally wouldn't.

But, "3" (but, not your "3")

Last edited:
Generally: Python runs on the server, the source code is compiled to bytecode, then the bytecode runs on an interpreter; JavaScript runs on the client, typically in a broswer within which the interpreter for it is integrated.

Thank you everyone. I will have to re-evaluate these categories.

Likes sysprog
Trying2Learn said:
Thank you everyone. I will have to re-evaluate these categories.
Why ? Wikipedia doesn't do too bad a job of it.

Likes Trying2Learn, FactChecker and sysprog
4'th generation is not characterized by being interpretive. It is characterized by being specialized for particular applications and problem domains. It is very hard for a general-purpose language to be as convenient to use as a language that is designed specifically for a particular application. There are a lot of specialized languages for mathematics, statistics and data analysis, simulation, database use, etc. They may not be as well known outside of their specialty because of their limited application, but they can dominate their subject domain.
I would consider Python to be a nice 3'rd generation language.

Last edited:
Likes Trying2Learn

What is the difference between first, second, third, and fourth generation programming languages?

First, second, third, and fourth generation programming languages refer to different levels of abstraction in computer programming. First generation languages, also known as machine code, are the lowest level and are directly understood by computers. Second generation languages, such as assembly language, use mnemonics to represent machine code instructions. Third generation languages, like Python and Javascript, are high-level languages that use English-like syntax and are easier for programmers to read and write. Fourth generation languages, also known as scripting languages, are used for specific purposes and are often built on top of third generation languages.

What is Python and how is it used in programming?

Python is a popular high-level programming language that is used for a wide range of applications, including web development, data analysis, and artificial intelligence. It is known for its simple and easy-to-learn syntax, which makes it a popular choice for beginners. Python is often used to create scripts that automate tasks, as well as for building complex software systems.

What is Javascript and how is it different from Python?

Javascript is a high-level programming language that is primarily used for front-end web development. It is used to add interactivity and dynamic features to websites, such as pop-up windows, animations, and form validation. Unlike Python, which is a general-purpose language, Javascript is specifically designed for web development and is not typically used for other types of programming tasks.

What are the advantages of using Python for programming?

There are several advantages to using Python for programming. Firstly, its simple and readable syntax makes it easy for beginners to learn. It also has a large and active community, which means there are many resources and libraries available for developers to use. Additionally, Python is a versatile language that can be used for a wide range of applications, from web development to data analysis. It also has strong support for object-oriented programming, making it a powerful choice for building complex software systems.

What are the advantages of using Javascript for web development?

Javascript is the only programming language that is supported by all modern web browsers, making it an essential tool for front-end web development. It also has a simple and easy-to-learn syntax, making it accessible to beginners. Javascript also has a variety of frameworks and libraries, such as React and Angular, that make it easier to create dynamic and interactive web pages. Lastly, Javascript is constantly evolving and improving, with new features and updates being released regularly, making it a versatile and future-proof choice for web development.