First semester course load advice

In summary: I think it's okay to take a research position in your first semester. It will definitely give you a better understanding of what research is and what the process of doing research is.
playoff
What's up PF! I'm about to enter my first semester of college, and I've come to ask for some advice in course load. So here are what I am taking this coming fall:
PHY 151: Physics II
MAT 272: Calculus III
MAT 275: Modern Differential Equations
CSE 110: Intro to Programming with Java
PHI 101: Intro to Philosophy

It's 5 classes total which is fairly usual, but the credit hours add up to 18 because there's a 1-credit hour seminar class and calc III and physics II are 4 credit hours each.

For the DE class, I actually dropped it 3 weeks into the course, so I have prior knowledge to many of its materials. CSE 110 and PHI 101, I heard, were very easy classes, so hopefully I won't have to invest too much time on them. This leaves me with physics 2 and calc 3 to study very hard for, and I've self studied E/M a lot, so again hopefully I can do well in it. Calc 3 I heard was very hard, so it will likely be my most difficult class this semester.

I won't work during this semester, but I wish to grasp a position in research. Do you think this is too much for my first semester?

Thank you in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
playoff said:
What's up PF! I'm about to enter my first semester of college, and I've come to ask for some advice in course load. So here are what I am taking this coming fall:
PHY 151: Physics II
MAT 272: Calculus III
MAT 275: Modern Differential Equations
CSE 110: Intro to Programming with Java
PHI 101: Intro to Philosophy

It's 5 classes total which is fairly usual, but the credit hours add up to 18 because there's a 1-credit hour seminar class and calc III and physics II are 4 credit hours each.

For the DE class, I actually dropped it 3 weeks into the course, so I have prior knowledge to many of its materials. CSE 110 and PHI 101, I heard, were very easy classes, so hopefully I won't have to invest too much time on them. This leaves me with physics 2 and calc 3 to study very hard for, and I've self studied E/M a lot, so again hopefully I can do well in it. Calc 3 I heard was very hard, so it will likely be my most difficult class this semester.

I won't work during this semester, but I wish to grasp a position in research. Do you think this is too much for my first semester?

Thank you in advance :)

Doing Calculus 3 and Diffy Q's at the same time is bit strange. Calculus 3 isn't very hard, if you didn't struggle with any calculus before it. I would personally drop the differential equations course.

Seems fine. I did DE before Calc 3 and found calc 3 really easy (like the easiest of the 3). Physics 2 (assuming calculus based) can be somewhat hard. The java and philosophy classes shouldn't be too difficult. I think it's pretty do-able. The only problem is since it's your first semester, it takes some time (at least for me) to adjust to the freedom, class load, etc.

Keep in mind, just because a class is easy does not mean you won't have to spend much time on them. Phi 101 will more than likely require you to read quite a bit of material nightly. The essays and the debates may be easy, but they will still be time consuming. Always keep that in mind

I don't think it's too much. There are good video lectures online for differential equations that will help you make sense of it more quickly. There are very good E&M lectures and you know some of that already. Calc 3 will be the most difficult subject, but I think the others will be sufficiently easy that it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Related to First semester course load advice

What is the recommended number of courses to take during the first semester?

The recommended number of courses to take during the first semester varies depending on the individual's circumstances and academic goals. However, it is generally suggested to take around 12-15 credits, which is equivalent to 4-5 courses.

Should I take all of my required courses during the first semester?

It is not necessary to take all of your required courses during the first semester. It is important to balance your course load and consider your overall academic plan. It may be beneficial to spread out your required courses throughout your academic career to avoid an overwhelming workload.

Is it better to take more difficult courses during the first semester or wait until later?

This ultimately depends on the individual's strengths and preferences. Some students may prefer to take more challenging courses during the first semester while they are still adjusting to college life, while others may prefer to ease into their coursework and save more difficult courses for later.

How many credits should I aim for during the first semester?

The number of credits to aim for during the first semester also varies based on personal circumstances. It is important to consider factors such as work or extracurricular commitments, as well as your own academic abilities and goals. It is generally recommended to aim for a manageable course load rather than trying to take on too much at once.

What resources are available to help me plan my first semester course load?

Your academic advisor is a valuable resource when planning your first semester course load. They can provide guidance and assistance in selecting courses that align with your academic goals and interests. Additionally, your university may offer resources such as online course planning tools or peer advisors who can provide insight and advice.