First Year Physics Assignment - Theory

In summary: Now can you explain why D is true?Good! Now can you explain why D is true?D is true because the apparent weight of a person on a jet-powered platform, when ascending and speeding up, would be greater than their true weight. This is because the platform is accelerating upwards, meaning there is an additional force acting on the person, making them feel heavier. However, their true weight (determined by their mass and the force of gravity) remains the same.
DanielleG

Homework Statement

Answer true, false, or Cannot tell to teach of the five statements below.
A) A 2 kg ball and a 3 kg ball are dropped from a tower. The net forces on each other are the same.
B) An astronaut stands on a bathroom scale on the surface of the moon; the scale reads the astronaut's true weight.
C) A box with a 100 kg passenger is catapulted straight into the air. The passenger's true weight is zero once the box is airborne.
D) You are standing on a jet-powered platform that can move straight up or down. Your apparent weight is greater than your true weight if the platform is ascending and speeding up.
E) The mass of an object depends on its location.

Homework Equations

No equations, just theory.

The Attempt at a Solution

A) False, net force in free fall = weight of an object, and a 2 kg ball and a 3 kg ball have different weights.
B) False, gravity is different on the moon and the bathroom scale would read differently.
C) False, the passenger's apparent weight would be zero once box was airborne, but their true weight would remain the same.
D) Unsure about this one, but I believe it would be "Cannot tell", because I'm unsure if "speeding up" = acceleration.
E) False. Mass is constant.

I have already tried entering these answers (False, false, false, cannot tell, false) and it is not correct. Does anyone have any advice or comments about how my reasoning is incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
DanielleG said:
the scale reads the astronaut's true weight
What is the meaning of "true weight"? As compared to what?

DanielleG said:
because I'm unsure if "speeding up" = acceleration.
What's the definition of acceleration?

Doc Al said:
What is the meaning of "true weight"? As compared to what?What's the definition of acceleration?

"True weight" would be the "real weight" on Earth of the person (their mass x 9.8 m/s^2), as opposed to apparent weight. And oh! Okay, D is true.

DanielleG said:
"True weight" would be the "real weight" on Earth of the person (their mass x 9.8 m/s^2), as opposed to apparent weight.
I would say that "true weight" reflects the actual force of gravity, as opposed to the "apparent weight". Does "true weight" change on the moon?

Doc Al said:
I would say that "true weight" reflects the actual force of gravity, as opposed to the "apparent weight". Does "true weight" change on the moon?
No, it does not! Therefore, B is true! Thank you very much!

DanielleG said:
No, it does not! Therefore, B is true!
Careful now. I would not agree with that. Reread my response above. Is the actual force of gravity different on the moon's surface compared to earth's?

Doc Al said:
Is the actual force of gravity different on the moon's surface compared to earth's?
Yes, it is. The force of gravity on the moon is 1.622 m/s^2, while gravity on Earth is 9.8 m/s^2.

DanielleG said:
Yes, it is. The force of gravity on the moon is 1.622 m/s^2, while gravity on Earth is 9.8 m/s^2.
Right. So would an object's true weight be different on the moon versus on the earth?

Doc Al said:
So would an object's true weight be different on the moon versus on the earth?
The weights would be different, but I think they would still both be true weights. I think true weight is just mass x gravity wherever a person/object is.

DanielleG said:
The weights would be different, but I think they would still both be true weights. I think true weight is just mass x gravity wherever a person/object is.
I agree with that. So what's your answer for B?

Doc Al said:
So what's your answer for B?

True!

DanielleG said:
True!
Good!

1. What is the purpose of a first year physics assignment?

The purpose of a first year physics assignment is to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and theories of physics. It allows them to apply their knowledge and skills to real-world problems and develop critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.

2. What topics are typically covered in a first year physics assignment?

A first year physics assignment may cover a wide range of topics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. It may also include mathematical concepts such as vectors, calculus, and algebra.

3. How should I approach a first year physics assignment?

The best approach for a first year physics assignment is to carefully read the instructions and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. It is also important to review the relevant theories and equations, and to show all steps and calculations in a clear and organized manner.

4. What resources are available to help with a first year physics assignment?

There are many resources available to help with a first year physics assignment, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study guides. It is also helpful to seek assistance from the professor or teaching assistant if you have any questions or need clarification on a particular topic.

5. How can I improve my performance on a first year physics assignment?

To improve your performance on a first year physics assignment, it is important to attend lectures and actively participate in class discussions. Practicing problems and seeking help when needed can also enhance understanding and improve problem-solving skills. Additionally, staying organized and managing time effectively can help ensure that the assignment is completed on time and to the best of your ability.