Fishing for a presentation idea

In summary, the conversation suggests giving a presentation on proofs for a "math in history, art and philosophy" class. Suggestions for a topic include the Pythagorean Theorem and number theory proofs. Other ideas include discussing the concept of abstract algebra and its applications. The conversation emphasizes the importance of choosing a topic that is both visually appealing and easy to understand for a non-math major audience.
NRS
Hello all. I'm a math major attending a "math in history, art and philosophy" class as an elective. For that class, we have to give a presentation on a topic of our choice. As many of the people in the room aren't math majors or had much exposure to the subject, I was thinking about giving a presentation on proofs. Perhaps why they are so important, maybe give an example of an example which appears true but isn't (Gauss's overestimation conjecture or something). But I would like to finish off the presentation with a relatively non-trivial but elementary proof. I really can't think of anything, any suggestions would be nice.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think for a class like this, doing a proof that involves something that everyone has heard of or can relate to would be a good idea. Two thought so f the top of my head are one of the numerous Pythagorean Theorem proofs (do more than one to show that one proof is not necessarily the only way to prove something) or do something related to number theory (infinitude of primes, maybe include one of the easiest proofs like the sum of two odd numbers is even, etc). There are many beautiful proofs in higher level math, but if you get too advanced for the general audience, you will bore them or lose them in math jargon (you don't want to spend the entire presentation going over lots of terms so they understand what is happening).

I think the Pythagorean proofs are easy to see visually (at least the geometric ones) and are a good choice and any real basic number theory proofs would be easy to follow along for non-math majors.

Not bad, maybe I'll present the development of that proof, beginning with the infamous "Behold!" and end with a simple congruence proof or something. Thanks alot, anything else is welcomed.

My personal favourite, among the canonical "first proof" proofs, is the proof that every number has a prime factor (and, as a consequence, that there are infinitely many primes). Honestly, everyone's heard of the Pythagorean theorem, and a proof won't really "expand many people's horizons" as far as mathematics goes. I like introducing people to the prime number proof because most people have no conceptualization about how you would go about proving something about every whole number in existence, so the proof offers a taste of mathematics that they've probably never even imagined before.

Alternately, instead of giving a rigorous proof, you could take a discipline like abstract algebra and give a conceptual understanding of the "algebraic" approach to tackling a problem (i.e. stripping away extraneous detail and focusing on the barest structure of the thing). A very good example would be bracelet counting with Burnside's theorem. You could talk about how the whole problem basically reduces to finding collections of bracelets that can be obtained from each other by rotations and reflections (i.e. the orbits generated by the action of the dihedral group on the set of bracelets). Or, you could talk about how things like addition and multiplication in the reals can be considered as binary operations, and that once you see it that way you see all sorts of similarities between things like the integers, permutations, and symmetries of geometric figures (i.e. the group structure).

Last edited:

Hello, thank you for sharing your presentation idea. I can definitely appreciate the importance of proofs in mathematics and their application in various fields. Your idea of introducing proofs to a non-mathematical audience is a great way to make the topic more accessible and interesting.

As for your search for a non-trivial but elementary proof to include in your presentation, I would suggest looking into the Pythagorean theorem. It is a fundamental concept in geometry and can be easily understood by non-mathematicians. You could demonstrate the proof using visual aids, such as a right triangle or a geometric model, to make it more engaging for your audience.

Another idea could be to explore the concept of infinity and how it relates to proofs. This could tie in with the philosophical aspect of your class and could be a thought-provoking topic for your audience.

Overall, I think your presentation idea has a lot of potential and I'm sure you will find a suitable proof to include in it. Good luck with your presentation!

Related to Fishing for a presentation idea

What is the purpose of "Fishing for a presentation idea"?

The purpose of "Fishing for a presentation idea" is to brainstorm and gather potential ideas for a presentation topic. It is a creative process that involves exploring different angles and perspectives to come up with a unique and engaging idea.

How do I start "Fishing for a presentation idea"?

To begin "Fishing for a presentation idea", start by identifying your audience and the purpose of your presentation. This will help you narrow down potential topics and tailor your idea to the specific needs and interests of your audience. Then, gather inspiration from various sources such as current events, personal experiences, or interesting facts.

What are some effective strategies for "Fishing for a presentation idea"?

Some effective strategies for "Fishing for a presentation idea" include brainstorming, mind mapping, and conducting research. Brainstorming involves generating a list of potential ideas without judgment or analysis. Mind mapping is a visual technique that helps organize and connect different ideas. Researching can provide valuable insights and data to support your idea.

How do I know if my "Fishing for a presentation idea" is a good one?

A good "Fishing for a presentation idea" should be unique, relevant, and engaging to your audience. It should also align with your goals and objectives for the presentation. Consider testing your idea with a small group or seeking feedback from colleagues to gauge its effectiveness.

What should I do if I am struggling to come up with a presentation idea?

If you are struggling to come up with a presentation idea, try taking a break and coming back to the brainstorming process later. Sometimes, stepping away and allowing your mind to rest can spark new ideas. You can also seek inspiration from others, such as attending a conference or workshop, or collaborating with a colleague.