Flag orientation for a boat observer Vs a ground observer

In summary: Let's backtrack.Say the boat is moving directly to the North and there is no wind. The flag will flutter so that a vector with its tail at the mast and its tip at the free edge of the flag will point South. The motion of the boat creates an artificial wind that points in the opposite direction of the boat's motion.If there is a real wind blowing, the flag will flutter in the direction of the vector sum of the artificial and the real wind. It has nothing to do with whether the observer is on the boat or on shore. The orientation of the flag relative to the hull of the boat will be the same for both observers. However, the observer on the
vcsharp2003
Homework Statement
The problem is as in screenshot below.
Relevant Equations
## {\vec {V}}_{AB} = \vec V_A -\vec V_B##, where ##\vec V_{AB}## is velocity of A relative to B, and ##\vec V_{A}##, ##\vec V_{B}## are velocities of A, B relative to ground
Screenshot_20230226-005004__01.jpg

I am confused by the question. So, the first thing I am trying to understand is whether the flag direction will be same to a boat observer as to a ground observer.

I know that the flag will orient itself in the direction the wind is blowing towards, so the flag should always point in NE direction, no matter how the boat moves. But, that's not the answer. Or maybe, the ground observer will see the flag oriented in NE direction, but the boat observer will see it in a different orientation. Also, the problem doesn't mention whether the flag orientation to be found is relative to boat observer or ground observer.

Any hint on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vcsharp2003 said:
I know that the flag will orient itself in the direction the wind is blowing towards, so the flag should always point in NE direction, no matter how the boat moves.
The flag will orient in the direction of the relative wind. If you are in a car moving to the North and you stick a small flag out an open window on a windless day, you will see the flag flutter as if a wind were blowing from the North.

Likes vcsharp2003
kuruman said:
The flag will orient in the direction of the relative wind. If you are in a car moving to the North and you stick a small flag out an open window on a windless day, you will see the flag flutter as if a wind were blowing from the North.
I see. If it was not windless, then how would the flag appear? I am guessing the flag direction will be in direction of the relative velocity of wind relative to boat ( i.e. flag direction as it appears to a boat observer).

vcsharp2003 said:
I am confused by the question. So, the first thing I am trying to understand is whether the flag direction will be same to a boat observer as to a ground observer.
Why are you trying to understand that?
I see no mention about those observers in the problem text.

vcsharp2003 said:
I see. If it was not windless, then how would the flag appear? I am guessing the flag direction will be in direction of the relative velocity of wind relative to boat ( i.e. flag direction as it appears to a boat observer).
Let's backtrack.
Say the boat is moving directly to the North and there is no wind. The flag will flutter so that a vector with its tail at the mast and its tip at the free edge of the flag will point South. The motion of the boat creates an artificial wind that points in the opposite direction of the boat's motion.

If there is a real wind blowing, the flag will flutter in the direction of the vector sum of the artificial and the real wind. It has nothing to do with whether the observer is on the boat or on shore. The orientation of the flag relative to the hull of the boat will be the same for both observers. However, the observer on the shore will feel only the real wind while the observer on the boat will feel the vector sum of the real and the artificial wind.

Last edited:
Likes vcsharp2003 and Frabjous
Lnewqban said:
Why are you trying to understand that?
I see no mention about those observers in the problem text.
All motion is relative, so shouldn't observer be of consequence here?

In this case, the flag is simultaneously under the influence of two air streams, each having a different orientation and velocity respect to each other and the ground.

Likes vcsharp2003
kuruman said:
Let's backtrack.
Say the boat is moving directly to the North and there is no wind. The flag will flutter so that a vector with its tail at the mast and its tip at the free edge of the flag will point South. The motion of the boat creates an artificial wind that points in the opposite direction of the boat's motion.

If there is a real wind blowing, the flag will flutter in the direction of the vector sum of the artificial and the real wind. It has nothing to do whether the observer is on the boat or on shore. The orientation of the flag relative to the hull of the boat will be the same for both observers. However, the observer on the shore will feel only the real wind while the observer on the boat will feel the vector sum of the real and the artificial wind.
That's very well explained. But, I need to read it multiple times to get it absolutely clearly. I really liked the concept of artificial wind and I think it should be in opposite direction to velocity of boat.

I think its similar to the scenario below. When rain falls vertically, the walking person will need to point the umbrella in direction of velocity of rain as it appears to the him/her. On the the other hand, a person standing on the ground would point the umbrella vertically. But the standing observer will see the walking person's umbrella inclined to the vertical, as will the walking person.

vcsharp2003 said:
I think its similar to the scenario below. When rain falls vertically, the walking person will need to point the umbrella in direction of velocity of rain as it appears to the him/her. On the the other hand, a person standing on the ground would point the umbrella vertically. But the standing observer will see the walking person's umbrella inclined to the vertical, as will the walking person.
Yes, it's a similar idea with the raindrops. Now think how a standing observer should hold the umbrella when there is a wind blowing parallel to the ground from the North.

Likes vcsharp2003
kuruman said:
Yes, it's a similar idea with the raindrops. Now think how a standing observer should hold the umbrella when there is a wind blowing parallel to the ground from the North.
Umbrella should point in a north direction if wind is blowing from north and of course, parallel to the ground

kuruman said:
If there is a real wind blowing, the flag will flutter in the direction of the vector sum of the artificial and the real wind.
So, does this mean that the direction of velocity of wind relative to boat will decide the direction in which the flag will flutter? It seems like that.

vcsharp2003 said:
Umbrella should point in a north direction if wind is blowing from north and of course, parallel to the ground
Not necessarily. Don't forget that rain coming down also has a vertical component of velocity. A stationary person in rain with wind is the same situation as a running person in rain without wind. In the former case the wind is real whilst in the latter case the wind is artificial. Nevertheless, the way the umbrella is to be held is the same.

Likes vcsharp2003
vcsharp2003 said:
So, does this mean that the direction of velocity of wind relative to boat will decide the direction in which the flag will flutter? It seems like that.
Yes, that's what it means.

Likes vcsharp2003
kuruman said:
Not necessarily. Don't forget that rain coming down also has a vertical component of velocity. A stationary person in rain with wind is the same situation as a running person in rain without wind. In the former case the wind is real whilst in the latter case the wind is artificial. Nevertheless, the way the umbrella is to be held is the same.
Oh ok, I get it. The rain velocity will be the vector sum of the wind velocity and the vertical rain velocity in windless air, which will then decide the direction of pointing of the umbrella.

Likes Lnewqban and kuruman
vcsharp2003 said:
Oh ok, I get it. The rain velocity will be the vector sum of the wind velocity and the vertical rain velocity in windless air, which will then decide the direction of pointing of the umbrella.
Yes.

Likes vcsharp2003

1. What is the purpose of flag orientation for a boat observer vs a ground observer?

The purpose of flag orientation is to communicate important information to other observers, such as the direction of wind or the location of hazards. The orientation of the flag may differ for a boat observer and a ground observer due to their different perspectives and needs.

2. How does the flag orientation differ for a boat observer vs a ground observer?

The flag orientation for a boat observer is typically based on the direction of the wind, as this is the most relevant information for boaters. On the other hand, the flag orientation for a ground observer may be based on the direction of hazards or other important landmarks.

3. Why is it important for a boat observer to pay attention to flag orientation?

Boat observers need to pay attention to flag orientation in order to safely navigate their vessel. The orientation of the flag can indicate the direction of the wind, which can affect the speed and stability of the boat. It can also signal the presence of hazards or areas to avoid.

4. What factors can influence the flag orientation for a boat observer vs a ground observer?

The flag orientation for both a boat observer and a ground observer can be influenced by factors such as wind direction, the presence of hazards, and the purpose of the observation. For example, a boat observer may need to pay more attention to wind direction for sailing purposes, while a ground observer may be more concerned with identifying hazards for safety reasons.

5. Are there any universal rules for flag orientation for boat observers vs ground observers?

There are some general guidelines for flag orientation, such as using the International Code of Signals for marine communication. However, the specific rules may vary depending on the context and location. It is important for observers to familiarize themselves with the local rules and regulations for flag orientation in their area.