Flash Memory Floating Gates and heavy ions causing bit flipping

• A
  • Thread starter addigde
  • Start date
addigde
Hello!
I'm always thought what flash does not have radiation hardened capabilities cause they have got floating gate what can be switched by heavy ion

But, according to page 36 NASAs reporters maintain what configuration of ProASIC3 is already hardened by nature.

https://www.inaoep.mx/seressa2015/archivos/Jueves_11_00_BERG.pdf

Can somebody explain, please, does it has an some acknowledge? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what they are saying is that flash-based FPGAs are harder than SRAM-based devices, not that they are completely immune to SEUs. But it's a long presentation and I may have missed the point.

Yes, I thought so at the beginning but after searching another similar sources I found the same declaration.
That's why I decided to clarify physics basis in this case from this source.

1. How do heavy ions cause bit flipping in Flash Memory Floating Gates?

Heavy ions can cause bit flipping in Flash Memory Floating Gates by generating enough energy to dislodge electrons from the floating gate, altering its charge state and potentially changing the stored data.

2. What are the implications of bit flipping in Flash Memory Floating Gates?

Bit flipping can lead to data corruption and loss of information stored in the Flash Memory Floating Gates, potentially impacting the reliability and functionality of the memory device.

3. How can heavy ion-induced bit flipping be mitigated in Flash Memory Floating Gates?

Heavy ion-induced bit flipping can be mitigated in Flash Memory Floating Gates through the use of error correction codes, shielding techniques, and radiation-hardened designs to minimize the impact of ionizing radiation on the stored data.

4. Are heavy ions the only source of bit flipping in Flash Memory Floating Gates?

No, heavy ions are not the only source of bit flipping in Flash Memory Floating Gates. Other factors such as process variations, electrical noise, and wear-out mechanisms can also contribute to bit errors in the memory device.

5. How do manufacturers test the resilience of Flash Memory Floating Gates against heavy ions?

Manufacturers test the resilience of Flash Memory Floating Gates against heavy ions by subjecting the devices to radiation testing using ion beams or other radiation sources to simulate the effects of ionizing radiation on the memory cells and evaluate their performance under such conditions.