Fletcher's Paradox - Lynds' Resolution or not?

In summary: Instantaneous velocity is the speed an object is moving at a specific moment in time, while average velocity is the speed of the object over a period of time.
Talanic
Hi there. I was wondering recently about the Fletcher's Paradox, and Peter Lynds' solution - the idea that time can't truly be measured in individual instants.

Now, I'm not actually a physicist - just a science fiction writer. But has anyone proposed the alternate solution that motion is an inherent characteristic of a moving object? After all, don't Einstein's theories indicate that an object's mass increases with its speed? This would seem to say that, in a frozen moment, velocity would still exist as an innate property.

I could be entirely off base here, but I was curious.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sort of with you on velocity as an inherent characteristic. If you think of an object not as a 3D thing which changes from moment to moment but as a (static) 4D thing, then the velocity is just a sort of tangent vector to the 4D object at a certain point in spacetime.

The Fletcher's Paradox (one of Zeno's Paradoxes I think) is generally agreed to have been resolved by mathematicians centuries ago using results from infinite series and calculus. The Fletcher's Paradox in particular can be thought of as an example of a geometric series...what Zeno (and apparently Peter Lynds) failed to realize is that you can add up an infinite number of terms and still obtain a finite answer. As for motion being an intrinsic property of an object, this isn't a new idea...thats the idea underlying momentum. Aristotle thought that a force was necessary to keep an object at motion and that its natural state was at rest. Momentum in Newton's physics stands in opposition to this idea...instead uniform motion is viewed as the natural state, and a force is required to accelerate. You should read up on the difference between instantaneous and average velocity.

Related to Fletcher's Paradox - Lynds' Resolution or not?

1. What is Fletcher's Paradox?

Fletcher's Paradox is a thought experiment proposed by philosopher and mathematician John Fletcher. It presents a paradoxical situation in which an individual can both remember and forget the same event at the same time.

2. What is Lynds' Resolution?

Lynds' Resolution is a proposed solution to Fletcher's Paradox put forth by theoretical physicist William G. Lynds. It suggests that the paradox can be resolved by considering time as a discrete, quantized entity rather than a continuous flow.

3. What is the significance of Fletcher's Paradox and Lynds' Resolution?

Fletcher's Paradox and Lynds' Resolution are both thought experiments that challenge our understanding of time and memory. They raise important philosophical questions about the nature of reality and the workings of the mind.

4. What is the current scientific consensus on Fletcher's Paradox and Lynds' Resolution?

There is no single, agreed-upon scientific consensus on Fletcher's Paradox and Lynds' Resolution. Some scientists and philosophers find the paradox and resolution compelling, while others criticize them as illogical or untestable.

5. Are there any real-world implications or applications of Fletcher's Paradox and Lynds' Resolution?

Currently, there are no known real-world implications or applications of Fletcher's Paradox and Lynds' Resolution. However, these thought experiments may continue to inspire further discussions and investigations into the nature of time and memory.