Flexural Modulus of a Test Specimen (3-point bending)

In summary: Your Name]In summary, to work out the flexural modulus (Ef) for a test specimen subjected to a 3-point bend test, you will need to plot a load-deflection curve and determine the slope of the initial straight-line portion. This slope, represented by 'm', can be calculated by choosing two points on the curve or using a graphing program. Once you have the value of 'm', you can plug it into the equation Ef = L3m/4bd3 along with the other given values to find the flexural modulus. Good luck with your experiment!
BenjineerM
Hello everyone,

I need to work out the flexural modulus (Ef) of a test specimen that is subjected to a 3-point bend test. I know that: Ef = L3m/4bd3. I have:

Support Span(L)= 0.1m
width(b)= 0.01m
depth(d) = 0.01m
Max normal stress σf= 98.1 MPa
Strain (εf) = 0.0525
Max force (applied to the center of the beam) = 656 N
Max deflection = 0.0089m
Specimen length = 0.14m

My question is, how do I work out 'm'? m is defined as "The gradient (i.e., slope) of the initial straight-line portion of the load deflection"

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

To work out the value of 'm' in your equation, you will need to plot a load-deflection curve for your test specimen. This curve will show the relationship between the applied load and the resulting deflection of the specimen. The initial straight-line portion of this curve will represent the elastic region of the material, where Hooke's Law applies.

To determine the slope of this initial straight-line portion, you can choose two points on the curve and calculate the rise over the run (change in load over change in deflection). The value of 'm' will be the average of these slopes. Alternatively, you can use a graphing program to automatically calculate the slope for you.

Once you have the value of 'm', you can plug it into your equation (Ef = L3m/4bd3) along with the other given values to calculate the flexural modulus of your test specimen. I hope this helps. Good luck with your experiment!

What is the flexural modulus of a test specimen?

The flexural modulus of a test specimen is a measure of the stiffness or rigidity of a material when subjected to three-point bending. It is the ratio of stress to strain in the linear elastic region of the material's stress-strain curve.

How is the flexural modulus calculated?

The flexural modulus is calculated by dividing the maximum stress in the material at the midpoint of the test span by the corresponding strain at that point. This is typically done using the equation: E = (3FL)/(2bd^2), where E is the flexural modulus, F is the maximum applied force, L is the span length, b is the width of the specimen, and d is the thickness of the specimen.

Why is the three-point bending test used to determine flexural modulus?

The three-point bending test is used because it allows for a simple and accurate measurement of the flexural modulus in a controlled laboratory setting. It also provides information about the material's strength, stiffness, and failure behavior under bending stress.

What factors can affect the flexural modulus of a test specimen?

The flexural modulus of a test specimen can be affected by various factors such as the composition and structure of the material, its temperature, the rate of loading, and the presence of defects or imperfections. It can also be influenced by the dimensions and geometry of the test specimen, as well as the testing conditions.

How is the flexural modulus used in material selection and design?

The flexural modulus is an important mechanical property that is used in material selection and design. It is a key indicator of a material's ability to withstand bending loads and is often used in conjunction with other properties to determine the suitability of a material for a specific application. Materials with higher flexural modulus are generally preferred for applications where stiffness and strength are important, such as in structural components or load-bearing parts.