Flight path angle concept question

In summary, the flight path angle of 356 degrees can be interpreted as either 356 degrees or 4 degrees, depending on how it is defined. The accepted definition is an angle between -180 and +180, and can be calculated using the formula gamma = arctan(e*sin(nu) / (1 + e*cos(nu))), where nu is the true anomaly and e is the eccentricity of the orbit.
Dustinsfl
Can a flight path angle be 356 degrees?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Can a flight path angle be 356 degrees?

Hi dwsmith, :)

Depends on the way it's defined I presume. If it's defined as, angle between the flight path vector and the horizon (refer >>this<<) then 356 degrees will be the same as 360-356=4 degrees.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Sudharaka said:
Hi dwsmith, :)

Depends on the way it's defined I presume. If it's defined as, angle between the flight path vector and the horizon (refer >>this<<) then 356 degrees will be the same as 360-356=4 degrees.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Originally it was -4 so I added 360 to get the positive. So I can then subtract and say it is positive?

dwsmith said:
Originally it was -4 so I added 360 to get the positive. So I can then subtract and say it is positive?

Where did you encounter this question and can you please tell us how the flight path angle is defined in the book that you use? I presume that it is defined as an angle in-between -180 and +180.

Sudharaka said:
Where did you encounter this question and can you please tell us how the flight path angle is defined in the book that you use? I presume that it is defined as an angle in-between -180 and +180.

$$
\gamma = \tan^{-1}\left(\frac{e\sin\nu}{1 + e\cos\nu}\right)
$$
where $\nu$ is the true anomaly and e is the eccentricity of the orbit.

Related to Flight path angle concept question

1. What is a flight path angle?

A flight path angle is the angle at which an aircraft's flight path is inclined relative to the horizon. It is measured in degrees and can be positive, negative, or zero.

2. How is flight path angle different from pitch angle?

Flight path angle and pitch angle are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Pitch angle refers to the angle of the aircraft's nose relative to the horizon, while flight path angle takes into account the angle of the entire aircraft's flight path.

3. How is flight path angle measured?

Flight path angle can be measured using various instruments on an aircraft, such as an altimeter or an attitude indicator. It can also be calculated using trigonometric functions based on the altitude and horizontal distance traveled.

4. What factors can affect the flight path angle?

The flight path angle can be affected by various factors, including the aircraft's speed, weight, and center of gravity. Weather conditions, such as wind and turbulence, can also impact the flight path angle.

5. Why is the flight path angle important for aircraft performance?

The flight path angle is important for determining the aircraft's path and altitude. It is also a crucial factor in calculating the aircraft's fuel consumption, as a steeper flight path angle requires more thrust and fuel to maintain. Proper management of the flight path angle is essential for safe and efficient flight operations.