Formula For Calculating Field Angle (Beam Angle) of Light?

In summary, the formula for calculating the beam angle of light is α = 2 arcCos ( 1 - Lm ÷ ( 2 π Cd )), where α is the angle in degrees, Lm is the luminous flux in lumens, and Cd is the luminous intensity in candela. This formula is a rearrangement of the equation Lm = 2 π Cd ( 1 - Cos (α ÷2) ), which indicates the angle at which the beam intensity falls off to 50% of the maximum intensity. The field angle, where the beam intensity falls to 10% of the maximum, is greater than the beam angle. The formula for calculating the field angle is not yet known, and
meeshu
There are actually several questions.

The formula for calculating the "beam angle" of light (emitted from lights bulbs, flashlights etc) is -

α = 2 arcCos ( 1 - Lm ÷ ( 2 π Cd ))

Where, α = beam angle in degrees
Lm = luminous flux (Lumens)
Cd = luminous intensity (Candela)

The above formula is simply a rearrangement of the equation -

Lm = 2 π Cd ( 1 - Cos (α ÷2) )

The beam angle formula above indicates the angle of light beam where the beam intensity falls off to 50% of the beam maximum intensity (apparently).

First question:
How is the equation Lm = 2 π Cd ( 1 - Cos (α ÷2) ) derived?

Second question:
How do we know that this equation applies only to 50% beam intensity?

There is another angle of light known as the "field angle", where the light beam angle is determined where the beam intensity falls to 10% of the maximum intensity. The field angle is greater than the beam angle.

Third question:
What is the formula for calculating light field angle?

Thanks for any and all constructive comments!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi, meeshu, I'm afraid I cannot help you, haven't got idea. The Internet doesn't help you? YouTube, for example. Have you got PC, or just a mobile? Have you got a library near? Sorry, I cannot provide anything but questions. How did you acquired the background? Wouldn't you prefer to tackle one question, just to start moving?
Greetings!:smile:

Thanks for your comments.

I had already searched the internet before posting this topic. I didn't get satisfactory results from the searches at that time.

After more searches I believe the first question has been answered, courtesy of information from this
link here !

But from another equation,

Lumen = Candela x Steradian, where the solid angle steradian equals 2 π ( 1 - Cos (α ÷ 2) )

So the lumen equation becomes -

Lm = 2 π Cd ( 1 - Cos (α ÷2) ) as per the same equation mentioned in my first post.

But my second question as to why this equation only relates to beam intensity falling off to 50% instead of the entire beam intensity falling off to 0, has not been answered!

It is not clear why the equation only applies to 50% beam intensity?? That seems a bit odd!

In summary, to date, there are two remaining questions yet to be answered -

Why does the equation only apply up to 50% beam intensity?

And, what is the equation for calculating light beam "field angle" where the beam intensity falls down to 10% of the initial (maximum) beam intensity?

Maybe these questions should be in a "photometric" or similar sub-forum, but I don't think there is such a sub-forum here(?)

1. What is the formula for calculating field angle of light?

The formula for calculating field angle (beam angle) of light is: Field Angle = 2 x arctan (D/2F), where D is the diameter of the light source and F is the distance from the light source to the target surface.

2. How do I measure the diameter of the light source for the calculation?

You can measure the diameter of the light source by using a ruler or caliper. Make sure to measure the widest point of the light source for accuracy.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of light source?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of light source as long as you have the correct measurements for D and F.

4. What units should I use for the measurements in the formula?

The units used for the measurements in the formula should be consistent. For example, if you measure D in inches, then F should also be measured in inches. It is important to use the same units to avoid errors in the calculation.

5. How accurate is this formula in determining the field angle of light?

This formula provides a good estimate of the field angle of light, but it may not be 100% accurate. Factors such as the shape and intensity of the light source, as well as the distance to the target surface, can affect the actual field angle. It is recommended to use this formula as a guide and make adjustments as needed based on the specific circumstances.