Flipping the polarity of a compass needle. Why does this work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of flipping the polarity of a compass needle through the use of magnets. The most reliable method involves holding two repelling magnets above the compass needle and forcing them towards the center, followed by a breaking motion. This method is more reliable than using two attracting magnets. The explanation for this phenomenon is that the magnets have magnetized the needle, causing it to orient itself in the direction that minimizes the energy of interaction between its magnetic dipole and the external magnetic field.
Ntstanch
Awhile back I had been messing around with batteries, copper wiring, compasses and small neodymium magnets; during this time I figured out how to flip the polarity of a compass needle. The most reliable way was to hold the two magnets above the compass needle and force, as best I could, the two repelling ends together towards the center of the compass needle. Once they were close enough to the center of the compass needle I would apply a breaking motion (like snapping a stick in two). And the compass needle would reverse.

Also, doing this with both magnets attracting is considerably less reliable than when they are repelling. However the primary factor seems to be the breaking motion (whether forcing repelling ends towards the center, or letting attracting ends snap towards the center).

Of course my question is how this works.

Science news on Phys.org
The magnetic needle aligns with the lines of the overall magnetic field in its presence. Whatever you do with the other two magnets, you do not flip the polarity of the magnetic needle, what you do is changing the magnetic field by moving your magnets.

See this picture (picture 2) with needles placed at various positions near a bar magnet.

DennisN said:
Whatever you do with the other two magnets, you do not flip the polarity of the magnetic needle, what you do is changing the magnetic field by moving your magnets.

Sorry if what I wrote was confusing... after the breaking motion the magnets are removed entirely and the north end of the needle then points south, and south north. At least until I repeat the experiment.

Ntstanch said:
Sorry if what I wrote was confusing... after the breaking motion the magnets are removed entirely and the north end of the needle then points south, and south north. At least until I repeat the experiment.

No problem. Ah, I see. Then the only explanation I can think of is that the two magnets have magnetized the needle (also some info here). Also, this clip shows how to magnetize a screwdriver with neodymium magnets.

The energy of interaction of the magnetic dipole of the needle and the external magnetic field is [itex]E=-\mu.B[/itex]. When you put the magnets over the needle, you flipped the magnetic dipole, so its new direction is [itex]\mu'=-\mu[/itex] and the energy is [itex]\mu'.B[/itex]. The needle still orientates itself in the direction which minimises this energy, which is now with the north-labelled side pointing south.

1. How does flipping the polarity of a compass needle affect its functionality?

Flipping the polarity of a compass needle essentially reverses its magnetic field. This means that the needle will point in the opposite direction from what it normally would. This does not affect its functionality, as the needle is still being influenced by Earth's magnetic field.

2. Why does flipping the polarity of a compass needle cause it to point in the opposite direction?

This is due to the fact that compass needles are made of a material that is attracted to Earth's magnetic north pole. When the polarity is flipped, the needle is now repelled by the north pole and attracted to the south pole, causing it to point in the opposite direction.

3. Can flipping the polarity of a compass needle damage the needle or affect its accuracy?

No, flipping the polarity of a compass needle does not cause any damage or affect its accuracy. The magnetic field of the Earth is constantly changing, so compass needles are designed to be able to adapt to these changes.

4. How do you flip the polarity of a compass needle?

There are a few ways to flip the polarity of a compass needle. One method is to use a strong magnet and rub it against the needle in one direction multiple times. Another method is to use an electrical current to reverse the magnetic field of the needle.

5. Are there any practical applications for flipping the polarity of a compass needle?

Yes, there are a few practical applications for this. One example is using a compass to navigate in the southern hemisphere, where the magnetic field is reversed compared to the northern hemisphere. Another example is in scientific research, where flipping the polarity of a compass needle can help in studying the Earth's magnetic field.