Question about magnetic fields (electromagnet)

In summary, the conversation discusses the rules for magnetic fields and direction of current, including the left hand rule and the effect of moving a permanent magnet away from an electromagnet. It also mentions the phenomenon of induction and Lenz's law, which explains the direction of induced currents. The answer to the problem is determined by the direction of the electromagnet's magnetic field, which attempts to attract the moving magnet.
mburt
Hi guys,

So far I am aware of these rules regarding magnetic fields/direction of current:

A compass needle point is attracted to a south pole (or inversely repelled by a north pole).

Left hand rule #2: For an electromagnet, point thumb toward north pole, fingers curl in direction of current (up or down the front).

However there is a diagram I've been looking at for some time and I can't figure out how it's possible! I have the answer I just can't work in reverse to try to discover this rule: what effect does moving a permanent AWAY from an electromagnet, with its north pole closest to the electromagnet, regard current direction, and compass deflection (compass placed on the opposite side).

I've attached an image of the diagram with the answer included (multiple choice, it has a check by it).

Thanks,
Mike.

Attachments

• question.png
    question.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 393
Physics news on Phys.org
This type of problem is a good deal more complicated than the examples you gave. This involved "Induction", and changing currents, and electric & magnetic fields.

Try reading up on the phenomenon of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday%27s_law_of_induction" which tells you in which direction the currents will be induced.

Once you've done that, ask about anything that doesn't make sense; or if you still have trouble with the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'll check that out.

Ah, I figured it out! As a magnet moves towards an electromagnet, Lenz' law tells us that the electromagnet's magnetic field will attempt to REPEL the magnet.. (oppose the force)

So if a magnet with a north pole facing the electromagnet was moving AWAY from the electromagnet, the side of the electromagnet facing the moving magnet would attempt to attract it, thus being south. Once that's established the question is easy.

Thanks!

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your question about magnetic fields and electromagnets. It sounds like you have a good understanding of the basic rules for magnetic fields and their interaction with compass needles and currents. However, you are struggling to understand a specific diagram and how it relates to these rules.

From the diagram you have provided, it appears that the question is asking about the effect of moving a permanent magnet away from an electromagnet with its north pole facing the electromagnet. In this scenario, the direction of the current in the electromagnet would be the opposite of what you would expect based on the left hand rule #2. This is because the north pole of the permanent magnet is facing the electromagnet, creating a repulsive force. Therefore, the current would need to flow in the opposite direction to produce a magnetic field that would counteract this repulsive force.

As for the compass deflection, it would also be in the opposite direction of what you would expect. Since the north pole of the permanent magnet is facing the electromagnet, it would create a magnetic field that is opposite to the magnetic field of the electromagnet. This would cause the compass needle to deflect in the opposite direction, away from the electromagnet.

I hope this explanation helps you better understand the diagram and the effects of moving a permanent magnet away from an electromagnet. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the curiosity and great work in your studies of magnetic fields!

Best,

1. What is an electromagnet and how does it work?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a wire. The electric current creates a magnetic field around the wire, which makes the wire act like a magnet. The strength of the magnetic field can be increased or decreased by changing the amount of electric current flowing through the wire.

2. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is made of materials that are naturally magnetic, such as iron or certain types of alloys. It has a constant magnetic field and does not require an external power source. An electromagnet, on the other hand, is created by passing an electric current through a wire and can be turned on or off by controlling the electric current.

3. How can an electromagnet be used in everyday life?

Electromagnets have a wide range of applications in our daily lives. They are used in various electronic devices, such as speakers, headphones, and computer hard drives. They are also used in appliances like refrigerators, washing machines, and electric motors. In industry, electromagnets are used in cranes, car crushers, and magnetic separators.

4. Can the strength of an electromagnet be increased?

Yes, the strength of an electromagnet can be increased by increasing the number of coils in the wire, using a stronger power source, or adding a ferromagnetic material, such as iron, to the core of the wire. The strength of the electromagnet is directly proportional to the amount of electric current flowing through the wire.

5. What are some safety precautions to take when working with electromagnets?

When working with electromagnets, it is important to be cautious of the strong magnetic field they create. This can interfere with pacemakers, credit cards, and other electronic devices. It is also important to be aware of any heat that may be generated by the electric current passing through the wire. It is recommended to wear protective gear and turn off the power source when not in use.