Flow in Branch Pipe: Understanding Reservoir Flow Dynamics

In summary, the author stated that the water from reservoir 1 could flow to reservoir 2 and 3, but not Q2.
foo9008

Homework Statement

in the notes , the author stated that the water from reservoir 1 could flow to reservoir 2 and 3 ... i don't understand how could the water flow from 1 to 2 through junction D ? how could the water flow from low to high ?
OrulDXM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Now my response went into the black hole :cry:

Don't see no D !

And water flows under the driving force we call pressure ! As long as pa > pb it will flow, up or down or sideways from a to b - as long as there is a path!

Last edited:
BvU said:
Now my response went into the black hole :cry:

Don't see no D !

And water flows under the driving force we call pressure ! As long as pa > pb it will flow, up or down or sideways - as long as there is a path!
do you mean as long as position reservoir A > B , the pressure is large enough for the water to flow upwards?

It's a bit more complicated than that because of the presence of reservoir 3.
It's not the position that 'decides', but the pressure.
From the picture I'd conclude that ##H_J > h_{f2}## is the condition for flow towards the second reservoir. For instance if pipe 3 is very narrow.

Likes foo9008
BvU said:
From the picture I'd conclude that ##H_J > h_{f2}## is the condition for flow towards the second reservoir. For instance if pipe 3 is very narrow.
##H_J ? what do you mean by it ?

BvU said:
how to know that if P at A > P at B ?

foo9008 said:
how to know that if P at A > P at B ?
That's exactly what they try to teach you with the picture !
##H_J## is the total head at J (what you called D, the branching point). Since that depends on the flows and the flows depend on the head differences, they propose an iterative solution method.

Likes foo9008
BvU said:
##H_J## is the total head at J (what you called D, the branching point). Since that depends on the flows and the flows depend on the head differences, they propose an iterative solution method.
ok , can i also say it as position of A is the highest , so P/( rho g ) + z has the highest value for A ?

BvU said:
i don't understand how could the water flow from q to 3 and Q2 is 0 ?

1. What is "flow in branch pipe"?

"Flow in branch pipe" refers to the movement of fluid (such as water, oil, or gas) through a pipe that branches off from a main pipeline. This type of flow is commonly found in reservoirs, where multiple pipes are used to extract or distribute the fluid.

2. Why is understanding reservoir flow dynamics important?

Understanding reservoir flow dynamics is important because it allows scientists and engineers to accurately predict and manage the flow of fluids in a reservoir. This can help optimize production and minimize potential problems, such as pressure drops or blockages.

3. What factors influence flow in branch pipes?

Several factors can influence flow in branch pipes, including the fluid properties (such as viscosity and density), the pipe diameter and length, the pressure and temperature of the fluid, and the presence of any obstructions or changes in direction.

4. How is flow in branch pipes measured and analyzed?

Flow in branch pipes can be measured and analyzed using various techniques, such as flow meters, pressure gauges, and computer simulations. These methods allow scientists to determine the flow rate, pressure, and other important parameters of the fluid within the pipe.

5. Can flow in branch pipes be controlled?

Yes, flow in branch pipes can be controlled through various methods, such as adjusting the pressure or temperature of the fluid, changing the pipe diameter, or using valves to regulate the flow. Understanding reservoir flow dynamics is crucial in determining the most effective control methods for a particular situation.