How Much Power Can Niagara Falls Generate with 90% Efficiency?

In summary: I suggest you start a thread in the Homework Help forum asking for some simple problems to be solved using dimensional analysis to get some practice.In summary, the average flow rate in the Niagara River is 6.0 x 10^6 kg/s and the water drops 50 m over Niagara falls. If harnessed with 90% efficiency, the electric power output would be 2.65 x 10^9 kg*m^2/s^3 or 2.65 x 10^9 Watts. Dimensional analysis can be used to check equations and answer reality checks when dealing with units.
courtneywetts

Homework Statement

The average flow rate in the Niagara River is 6.0 x 10^6 kg/s and the water drops 50 m over Niagara falls. If all this energy could be harnessed to generate hydroelectric efficiency at 90% efficiency, what would be the electric power output?

Homework Equations

P=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I did

(6.0 x 10^6 kg/s) (9.8 m/s^2) (50m) (.9)
= 2.65 x 10^9 kg*m^2/s^3

I think I did the math right? But am unsure of the units.
Is this the answer? Or should my answer be in watts?
If so how would I get this number to watts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good exercise in dimensional analysis.

What are the dimensions of each of your factors? (Example: dimension of kg/s = MT-1.)

M = mass
T = time
L = displacement

What is force F dimensionally ? (hint: F = ma).

Then, what is FL?
And finally FLT-1?

Of course, you can dispense with dimensional analysis & just use common sense, knowing that if you stick to the SI system you will wind up with Joules for energy, Watts for power, etc. But dimensional analysis is one of the most powerful and most neglected tools in your physics toolbox to check equations term-by-term, answer reality checks, etc. so I advise getting comfy with dimensional analysis.

Dimensional analysis can do much more than that, but that's another story.

P=mgh

What is P? If P=Power then this is wrong.

Energy = mgh

Power (in Watts) is the rate of change of energy eg

Power = Δenergy (in Joules) / ΔTime (in seconds)

In other words

Power = mgh/t

However the problem gives the flow rate Fr (= 6.0 x 10^6 kg/s) which is equivalent to m/t. So your starting equation should

Power = Frgh

or to be complete

Power = Frgh * efficiency

As it happens that's actually what you calculated when you wrote..

(6.0 x 10^6 kg/s) (9.8 m/s^2) (50m) (.9)

You have the right answer but just need to understand how you got there :-)

PS. This question and your responses on one of your other threads (eg the one on the power output of a solar array) suggests you probably need to practice with manipulating units and dimensional analysis.

1. How is the flow of a river measured?

The flow of a river is typically measured in cubic feet per second (cfs) or cubic meters per second (cms). This is done by taking the cross-sectional area of the river and multiplying it by the average velocity of the water.

2. What factors affect the flow of a river?

The flow of a river is affected by a variety of factors, including the slope of the river, the amount of water in the river, the shape and size of the river channel, and any obstructions or changes in the river's path.

3. How is the power of a river calculated?

The power of a river is calculated using the formula P = Q x H x g, where P is power in watts, Q is the flow rate of the river in cubic meters per second, H is the height of the river in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

4. What is the relationship between the flow of a river and its power?

The flow of a river and its power are directly related. As the flow rate of a river increases, so does its power. This is because a higher flow rate means a larger volume of water moving at a faster velocity, resulting in more energy to be harnessed.

5. How is the power of a river used?

The power of a river can be used in a variety of ways, such as generating electricity through hydroelectric dams, powering watermills for grinding grain, or providing irrigation for agriculture. It can also be used for recreational activities like whitewater rafting and kayaking.