Flow through piping (a highly viscous additive)

In summary, the conversation discusses the installation of a piping system to transfer a highly viscous additive using a mono screw/lobe pump. The question is raised about the effect of changing the suction and discharge line sizes on the flow rate, with it being mentioned that the flowrate is dependent on the pump speed. It is also noted that reducing the pipe size too much could overpressurize the pump casing, but with normal assumptions, any change in flow rate is expected to be negligible.
Mudabbir
Dear Members

Good day to all.
We recently installed a piping system to transfer a highly viscous additive from an ISO tank to another holding tank by using a mono screw/lobe pump.
My question to you all is,the discharge size of the iso tank is 3 inches, will my flow be effected if i change the suction line from 4in to 6in and discharge line from 3in to 5in

Engineering news on Phys.org
"Lobe pumps" are, I believe, positive displacement, right? The flowrate depends only on the pump speed, not the piping sizes.

edit: within reason. if you reduce the pipe size too much you could overpressurize the pump casing

Likes Baluncore and Chestermiller
If the piping is long enough and/or the viscosity is really high then you might see a small increase in flow rate because of a decrease in frictional pressure drop from the increase in diameter and reduction in velocity. But with normal assumptions I would expect to see a negligible change in flow rate.

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is flow through piping?

Flow through piping refers to the movement of a liquid or gas through a system of pipes. In the context of a highly viscous additive, it refers to the flow of a thick or sticky substance through a series of pipes.

2. What is a highly viscous additive?

A highly viscous additive is a substance that has a high resistance to flow, meaning it is thick and sticky. This can include materials such as oils, syrups, and certain chemicals.

3. How does viscosity affect flow through piping?

Viscosity plays a significant role in flow through piping. The higher the viscosity of the additive, the more resistance it will have to flow through the pipes. This can result in slower flow rates and potentially clogging or blockages in the pipes.

4. What factors can affect flow through piping of a highly viscous additive?

There are several factors that can impact the flow of a highly viscous additive through piping. These include the viscosity of the additive, the diameter and length of the pipes, the pressure and temperature of the system, and any potential obstructions or irregularities in the pipes.

5. How can flow through piping of a highly viscous additive be improved?

There are a few ways to improve the flow of a highly viscous additive through piping. One option is to increase the temperature of the system, as this can decrease the viscosity of the additive and make it easier to flow. Another option is to use larger diameter pipes, which can reduce the resistance to flow. Additionally, using additives or lubricants can also help to improve flow through piping.