Flow Velocity- Guranteed to be Laminar

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question about calculating the maximum average flow velocity of water in a laminar flow through a pipe with given constants. The solution involves determining the limiting Reynolds number and applying a formula related to a tube. The person also mentions posting the question in a homework forum for further assistance.
flash_659
I am absolutely stumped on this last question for my assignment, I have no idea what to or how to calculate the flow from just these given constants.

Q) Water (p = 998 kg/m^3
, n = 1.0*10^-3 Pa.s at 20C) at 20C flows through a pipe of
diameter 50.0 mm. What is the maximum average flow velocity if the flow is
guaranteed to be laminar? Give your answer in mm/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
flash_659 said:
I am absolutely stumped on this last question for my assignment, I have no idea what to or how to calculate the flow from just these given constants.

Q) Water (p = 998 kg/m^3
, n = 1.0*10^-3 Pa.s at 20C) at 20C flows through a pipe of
diameter 50.0 mm. What is the maximum average flow velocity if the flow is
guaranteed to be laminar? Give your answer in mm/s.
Homework question?
- https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152

You have to decide a limiting Reynolds number for laminar flow and apply the formula that relates to a tube. If you've had a course this question must be pretty close to it.

O thanks I will post in the homework section.

I would like to clarify that laminar flow is a type of fluid flow where the fluid particles move in parallel layers with no mixing between them. This type of flow is characterized by smooth, steady, and predictable movement. In order to calculate the flow velocity, we can use the Reynolds number (Re), which is a dimensionless number that describes the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces within a fluid.

To determine if the flow is laminar, we can use the Reynolds number formula: Re = (ρ*v*D)/μ, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the flow velocity, D is the pipe diameter, and μ is the dynamic viscosity of the fluid.

In this case, we are given the density (ρ = 998 kg/m^3), dynamic viscosity (μ = 1.0*10^-3 Pa.s), and pipe diameter (D = 50.0 mm = 0.05 m). We can plug these values into the Reynolds number formula and solve for the flow velocity:

Re = (ρ*v*D)/μ
Re = (998 kg/m^3 * v * 0.05 m) / (1.0*10^-3 Pa.s)
Re = 49.9*v

For laminar flow, the Reynolds number must be less than 2300. Therefore, we can set up the following inequality:
Re < 2300
49.9*v < 2300
v < 2300 / 49.9
v < 46.09

Therefore, the maximum average flow velocity for the given fluid and pipe diameter, in order to maintain laminar flow, is 46.09 mm/s. I hope this explanation helps you understand how to calculate the flow velocity in a laminar flow situation.

Related to Flow Velocity- Guranteed to be Laminar

1. What is flow velocity and why is it important?

Flow velocity is the rate at which a fluid moves in a specific direction. It is important because it affects the flow behavior of the fluid, which is crucial in many scientific and engineering applications.

2. What is laminar flow and how does it differ from turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is a type of fluid flow where the particles move in a smooth, orderly manner, with little to no mixing between layers. In contrast, turbulent flow is characterized by chaotic, irregular movement of particles and mixing between layers.

3. How is laminar flow guaranteed in a system?

Laminar flow can be guaranteed by controlling the flow velocity within a certain range and ensuring that the Reynolds number, a dimensionless parameter that predicts flow behavior, is below a certain threshold. Additionally, using smooth and streamlined surfaces can help promote laminar flow.

4. What are some common applications of laminar flow?

Laminar flow is commonly used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and microfluidics. It is also important in areas such as aerodynamics, blood flow in the human body, and environmental studies.

5. Can flow velocity and laminar flow be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as temperature, pressure, and viscosity of the fluid can affect flow velocity and the transition from laminar to turbulent flow. Changes in the flow system, such as bends and obstacles, can also impact flow behavior.