Fluid Boundary Layer Mathy Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation of a boundary value problem (BVP) to an initial value problem (IVP) in order to solve it numerically. The person is trying to understand the process and asks for clarification on a specific example. The conversation also touches on the invariance of the BVP and the potential difficulty in transforming it into an IVP.
member 428835
Hi PF!

So after scaling Navier-Stokes for a flow over a flat plate we ultimately arrive at ##f f'' + f''' = 0## subject to ##f(0)=0##, ##f'(0)=0##, and ##f'(\infty) = 1## where independent variable is ##\eta##. The source I was reading is trying to reduce this BVP to an IVP. Thus they suggest for some solution ##F(\eta)##, ##CF(C \eta)## also is a solution. Then we have $$1 = \lim_{\eta \to \infty} f'(\eta) = C^2 \lim_{\eta \to \infty} F'(C \eta) \implies C = \left( \lim_{\eta \to \infty} F'(\eta) \right)^{-1/2}$$. But this is where it get's strange. They then say "if we specify ##F''(0) = 1##... but how can they do this? We know ##f''(0) = C^3 F''(0) \implies F''(0) = f''(0) C^{-3}## but ##C## has already been specified.

The link to this is here: http://web.mit.edu/fluids-modules/www/highspeed_flows/ver2/bl_Chap2.pdf around eq. (3.48)

Any help at understanding this would be awesome!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]f[/itex] be the solution of the BVP [itex]ff'' + f''' = 0[/itex] with [itex]f(0) = f'(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]f'(\infty) = 1[/itex].

Now for each [itex]C > 0[/itex] define a function [itex]g_C(\eta) = Cf(C\eta)[/itex]. Then [itex]g_C[/itex] is the solution of the BVP [itex]g_Cg_C'' + g_C''' = 0[/itex] with [itex]g_C(0) = g_C'(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]g_C'(\infty) = C^2[/itex]. (This is not the original BVP unless [itex]C = 1[/itex], and by definition [itex]g_1 = f[/itex] anyway.)

Consider the IVP [itex]hh'' + h''' = 0[/itex] subject to [itex]h(0) = h'(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]h''(0) = 1[/itex]. Knowing [itex]h[/itex] we can find [itex]f[/itex], because [itex]h = g_C[/itex] where [itex]C^2 = L = \lim_{x \to \infty} h'(x)[/itex] (assuming, of course, that this limit exists). Hence by definition of [itex]g_C[/itex] we have [tex]f(\eta) = C^{-1}g_C(C^{-1}\eta) = L^{-1/2}h(L^{-1/2}\eta).[/tex]

Gotcha, I think this is making sense! I have a corollary question then, though I can post as a separate thread if that's more appropriate. I am trying to transform this equation to transform this BVP ##y'' + 6 y^{2/3} = 0## subject to ##y'(0)=0## and ##y(1)=0## into an IVP so I can numerically solve it. Right not when I use NDsolve in mathematica I get no output. Any insight on when this transformation is possible, and when it is, how to go about doing it?

I noticed the BVP is invariant when ##y(x) = \lambda^n Y(\lambda^{-n/6} x)##. I'm just unsure how to proceed.

1. What is a fluid boundary layer?

A fluid boundary layer is a thin layer of fluid that forms on a solid surface when it is in contact with a moving fluid, such as air or water. This layer of fluid experiences different velocities and forces compared to the bulk fluid, and it plays a crucial role in fluid dynamics.

2. What is the significance of the fluid boundary layer?

The fluid boundary layer is significant because it affects the drag force, heat transfer, and mass transfer on a solid surface. Understanding the behavior of the fluid boundary layer is crucial in designing efficient systems, such as aircraft wings and heat exchangers.

3. How is the thickness of the fluid boundary layer determined?

The thickness of the fluid boundary layer is determined by the balance between the viscous forces of the fluid and the inertial forces of the bulk flow. The thickness increases as the distance from the solid surface increases, and it is often described using the boundary layer thickness parameter, δ.

4. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent boundary layers?

A laminar boundary layer is smooth and orderly, with fluid particles moving in parallel layers. In contrast, a turbulent boundary layer is characterized by chaotic and irregular fluid motion, resulting in increased mixing and a thicker boundary layer. The transition from a laminar to a turbulent boundary layer can be affected by factors such as surface roughness and flow velocity.

5. How is the fluid boundary layer mathematically described?

The fluid boundary layer is described using the Navier-Stokes equations, which are a set of partial differential equations that govern the behavior of fluids. These equations, along with the boundary conditions, can be solved using numerical methods to determine the velocity and pressure profiles of the fluid boundary layer.