[Fluid Dynamics] Losses in branched pipes etc.

In summary, the picture shows that total pressure (Pt) is equal to static pressure (Ps) + dynamic pressure (Pd). A pressure gauge connected to the side of the pipe (with flowing fluid) only measures static pressure. Q(in) = Q(1) + Q(2) + Q(3) [by continuity], assuming no minor losses. V(in) = 3*V(1) = 3*V(2) = 3*V(3) [for A(1) = A(2) = A(3) = A(in)]. Pt(in) = Pt(1) = Pt(2) = Pt(3). So for Pd = rho*
toiletmirror
Hi all,

I'd like to confirm my understanding on some things regarding pressure losses in a branched pipe for a project.

Referring to the picture below I grabbed off from the net. (assume no elevation chan

Would appreciate if someone can correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.

1) Total pressure (Pt) = Static pressure (Ps) + Dynamic pressure (Pd)

2) A pressure gauge connected to the side of the pipe (with flowing fluid) only measures static pressure

3) Q(in) = Q(1) + Q(2) + Q(3) [by continuity]

Assuming no minor losses,

4) V(in) = 3*V(1) = 3*V(2) = 3*V(3) [for A(1) = A(2) = A(3) = A(in)]

5) Pt(in) = Pt(1) = Pt(2) = Pt(3)

6) So for Pd = rho*V²/2: Pd(in) = 9*Pd(1) = 9*Pd(2) = 9*Pd(3)

7) Hence by Bernoulli's, to balance the pressures (energies) : 9*Ps(in) = Ps(1) = Ps(2) = Ps(3)

8) My pressure gauges at each of the branch will read at a pressure 9 times higher than that at the main branch

Assuming minor losses due to the branching and bends

9) Solving the same way as previously, but now I need to substract pressure due to minor loss from Pd at each branches

10) Use Darcy-Weisbach, find friction factor and use equivalent length

11) I can individually look at a branch to do this [i.e. Inlet to outlet1 or inlet to outlet2 etc.]

12) Substract pressure loss in (11) to each of the 3 branch to account for the total pressure difference

13) However my gauge will still read static pressures only, so will not pick up these minor losses (Hence reading at branch 1 will still be equal to that at branch 2)Am I correct in the 13 steps I posted? Thank you!

Attachments

• Branch.PNG
    Branch.PNG
    2.9 KB · Views: 521
Engineering news on Phys.org

What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids flow and how forces affect their motion. It is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of liquids and gases.

What are losses in branched pipes?

Losses in branched pipes refer to the decrease in pressure or energy that occurs as a fluid flows through a pipe system with branches. These losses are caused by factors such as friction, changes in direction, and turbulence.

What are the different types of losses in branched pipes?

The three main types of losses in branched pipes are frictional losses, minor losses, and major losses. Frictional losses occur due to the roughness of the pipe walls, minor losses are caused by changes in the direction of flow or the presence of fittings, and major losses occur due to changes in the pipe diameter or flow rate.

How are losses in branched pipes calculated?

Losses in branched pipes can be calculated using various equations, such as the Darcy-Weisbach equation or the Hazen-Williams equation. These equations take into account factors such as the fluid properties, pipe characteristics, and flow rate to determine the overall losses in the system.

How can losses in branched pipes be reduced?

Losses in branched pipes can be reduced by using smooth pipes with a larger diameter, minimizing the number of fittings and changes in direction, and controlling the flow rate. Additionally, regularly maintaining the pipe system and keeping it free from build-up or blockages can also help reduce losses.