Fluid Dynamics - Using the Manometer Equation

In summary: The part after "You have to think about..." was repeated in the original; I think it was a copy/paste error.In summary, the conversation discusses using an equation to solve for the difference in elevation between two water reservoirs connected by a u-shaped tube filled with mercury. The equation used is (delta)P=pg(delta)h, and the pressure on both ends of the reservoir is assumed to be atmospheric, resulting in a height of 0. However, the correct answer is found using the idea that the pressure on the left is equal to the pressure on the right due to equilibrium, resulting in an answer of 3.15 meters.
dylanwalt
Homework Statement
The two water reservoirs shown in the figure are open to the atmosphere. The water has a density of 1.00 Mg/m°.
A u-shaped tube between the reservoirs contains incompressible mercury with a density of 13.60 Mg/m'.
The difference in height, d, of the mercury on either side of the u-shaped tube is 25.0 cm as shown.
What is the difference in elevation h?
Relevant Equations
(delta)P=pg(delta)h
I tried to use this equation, so I isolated the delta h because that is what im solving for and then I thought because the pressure on both ends of the reservoir is both atmospheric pressure the change in pressure is 0. This makes my entire equation 0 and thus height is 0 which is definitely not the case.

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 68
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the two reservoirs as the right hand side and left hand side of an equation. In this instance the equation for pressure. You would put mercury's pressure on the right hand side.

P_h + Px + P25 = Pmerc + Px

Last edited:
dylanwalt said:
Homework Statement: The two water reservoirs shown in the figure are open to the atmosphere. The water has a density of 1.00 Mg/m°.
A u-shaped tube between the reservoirs contains incompressible mercury with a density of 13.60 Mg/m'.
The difference in height, d, of the mercury on either side of the u-shaped tube is 25.0 cm as shown.
What is the difference in elevation h?
Relevant Equations: (delta)P=pg(delta)h

I tried to use this equation, so I isolated the delta h because that is what im solving for and then I thought because the pressure on both ends of the reservoir is both atmospheric pressure the change in pressure is 0. This makes my entire equation 0 and thus height is 0 which is definitely not the case.
You appear to be using Bernoulli's between 1 and 3? While not wrong...it's not going to get you anywhere. You have to think about the pressures at the various points in the manometer. You can relate these from surface ##\enclose{circle}{\text{1}}## to surface ##\enclose{circle}{\text{3}}##.

Is it clear to you that, at the bottom of the blue section in either leg of the manometer, the pressures are equal (since there is only mercury of equal heights in the two legs below this level)?

Likes scottdave and erobz
Yes it is clear to me, I worked it out. I used the idea that the pressure on the left is equal to the pressure on the right because the system is in equilibrium and then placed all the values in and got an answer of 3.15 meters.

Likes Chestermiller, osilmag, Steve4Physics and 1 other person
dylanwalt said:
Yes it is clear to me, I worked it out. I used the idea that the pressure on the left is equal to the pressure on the right because the system is in equilibrium and then placed all the values in and got an answer of 3.15 meters.
Welcome, @dylanwalt !

For homework questions, we require you to show your attempt to resolve the problem.

Another way to see it:
A hydrostatic pressure able to create a 0.25-meter column of mercury, will be able to induce a [(13.60 / 1.00) x 0.25]-meter column of water (which is not equal to answer C).

Lnewqban said:
A hydrostatic pressure able to create a 0.25-meter column of mercury, will be able to induce a [(13.60 / 1.00) x 0.25]-meter column of water (which is not equal to answer C).
To avoid possible confusion, it's worth noting that the question asks for the value of ##h##. But ##h## is not the length of a "[(13.60 / 1.00) x 0.25]-meter column of water".

So, unless I'm misunderstanding something, the OP has the correct answer (C, 3.15m in Post #5).

Minor edit made.

Last edited:
Likes haruspex and erobz

1. What is the Manometer Equation?

The Manometer Equation is a mathematical formula used in fluid dynamics to calculate the pressure difference between two points in a fluid. It takes into account the density of the fluid, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height difference between the two points.

2. How is the Manometer Equation used in fluid dynamics?

The Manometer Equation is used to measure and analyze pressure differences in a fluid. It is commonly used in experiments and engineering designs to determine the behavior of fluids and their effects on objects.

3. What are some real-world applications of the Manometer Equation?

The Manometer Equation has many practical applications, such as measuring blood pressure in medical settings, calculating the pressure difference in pipes for plumbing and irrigation systems, and determining the performance of aircraft wings in aerodynamics.

4. How does the Manometer Equation relate to other equations in fluid dynamics?

The Manometer Equation is closely related to other equations in fluid dynamics, such as Bernoulli's equation and the continuity equation. These equations all describe different aspects of fluid behavior and can be used together to gain a more complete understanding of fluid dynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Manometer Equation?

While the Manometer Equation is a useful tool in fluid dynamics, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the fluid is incompressible and has a constant density, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, it does not take into account factors such as turbulence and viscosity, which can also affect fluid behavior.