Fluid mechanics and English help

In summary, the conversation is about someone's project on calculating pressure losses in pipes using Ansys Fluent. They are confused about certain parts, specifically the terms "so VR" and "so we are in a velvet in laminar regime" and "axymetric assumption built into mathematical model." They also mention a phrase "that's going to be like a swell" in 3.07, which may have been a misheard word for "swirl." They ask for clarification on these parts as they are not a native English speaker.
mech-eng
My native language is not English. I follow a series of vids about Ansys Fluent. I am not stuck in 2.59 about the part "so VR" and "so we are in a velvet in laminar regime." Would you please explain those parts. This is about my project and it is about calculation of pressure losses in pipes in Fluent.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Would you look this part as well. What does "axymetric assumption built into mathematical model" in 0.17. I especially confused the part "built into".

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
Would you look this part as well. What does "axymetric assumption built into mathematical model" in 0.17. I especially confused the part "built into".

Thank you.

He is saying, "so we are in the laminar regime."

Chestermiller said:
He is saying, "so we are in the laminar regime."

Is velvet there something like exactly? It think it is very strange saying as VR. And your quote seems for the other one.

Thank you.

What does "that's going to be like a swell" in 3.07

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
What does "that's going to be like a swell" in 3.07

Thank you.

I think the word he said is swirl, but I'm not sure. Neither work makes sense to me.

Likes mech-eng

What is fluid mechanics and how is it related to English?

Fluid mechanics is the study of how fluids, such as liquids and gases, behave under different conditions. It is related to English because fluid mechanics involves using mathematical and scientific concepts to describe and analyze fluid flow, which is essential in understanding many physical phenomena and engineering applications. Writing and communicating about fluid mechanics research and findings also requires a strong command of the English language.

What are some common applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has a wide range of applications, including aerodynamics (study of air flow), hydrodynamics (study of water flow), weather forecasting, designing aircrafts and ships, understanding blood flow in the human body, and developing efficient water and energy systems.

How does fluid mechanics relate to other branches of science, such as physics and chemistry?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids, which are matter that can flow and change shape. It also incorporates principles from chemistry, such as the study of surface tension and viscosity, which affect fluid flow. Understanding fluid mechanics is crucial in many fields of science and engineering.

What are some important equations used in fluid mechanics?

Some important equations used in fluid mechanics include the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluid particles, the Bernoulli's equation, which relates pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid, and the continuity equation, which states that the mass flow rate of a fluid must remain constant in a closed system.

How can I improve my understanding of fluid mechanics and English as a scientist?

To improve your understanding of fluid mechanics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. Additionally, reading and researching in the field, attending conferences and workshops, and collaborating with other scientists can also enhance your knowledge. To improve your English skills, you can practice reading and writing scientific papers, attend language courses or workshops, and seek feedback from peers and mentors.