Fluid Mechanics: Cart and tank of water

In summary, the problem involves a cart with a tank of water attached to it, a nozzle, and a turn vane. The velocity of the water jet and the cross-sectional area are given. To find the force in the rope, a free body diagram is drawn and forces are summed in the x and y direction. The horizontal component of the momentum exiting the combination of tank and cart is equal to the tension in the rope, which can be calculated using the given values. To convert the final answer to lbf, it needs to be divided by the conversion factor gc.
jdawg

Homework Statement

A cart has a tank of water on it which has a nozzle. Water jets out from the nozzle onto a turn vane oriented at theta = 30° which deflects the flow upward. The cart is held stationary by a rope as shown in the image below. Find the force in the rope if the velocity of the jet is 68.5 [ft/s] and the cross-sectional area is 0.8 [ft2].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty confused about how to start this problem. I tried starting out with drawing a free body diagram (attached) and then found the mass flow rate:
m=ρAv=(62.4lb/ft3)(0.8ft2)(68.5ft/s)
m=3419.5 lb/s

I was thinking somehow I could multiply that mass rate to get the weight of the tank or something, but now I'm thinking that wouldn't really make sense... Did I even need to find the mass flow rate?

Then I summed the forces in the x and y direction:

ΣFx=(FH2O)cos(30°)=T

∑Fy=FN+FA-Wtank-Wcart-(FH2O)sin(30°) +FB

Is there someway I could calculate the pressure at the nozzle outlet? And then multiply that pressure by the area to get the force?

Sorry if this seems a little scattered!

Attachments

• FluidsFBD_QuizQ#4.png
    FluidsFBD_QuizQ#4.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 502
  • cart.png
    cart.png
    4 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
The rate of water momentum entering the combination of tank and cart is zero. What is the horizontal component of the rate of water momentum exiting the combination of tank and cart? This is equal to the horizontal force exerted by the combination of tank and cart on the water (i.e., the rate of change of momentum of the water). How does that relate to the horizontal force exerted by the water on the combination of tank and cart?

Let me guess. In your course, you are learning about macroscopic momentum balances on fluid flows.

Chet

Likes jdawg
Haha I think that's what we're learning about! I haven't seen an example like this yet though, so maybe we'll be doing problems like this next class!

So for the horizontal component of the momentum exiting should be this?: v*m*cos(30)

So does that equal the tension in the rope? T=v*m*cos(30)=(68.5 ft/s)*(3419.5 lb/s)*cos(30) T=202854.11 (ft*lb)/(s2)

I hope I understood you correctly! I'm not very comfortable with english units, do you know how to convert this answer to lbf? Or do the above units already condense down to lbf?

Assuming you did the rest of the arithmetic correctly, you got to divide by gc.

Likes jdawg
What is gc?

jdawg said:
What is gc?
$$g_c=32.2 \frac{lb_mft}{lb_fsec^2}$$

Likes jdawg
Hahah oh, the subscript threw me off a little. Thanks!

What is Fluid Mechanics?

Fluid Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) behave and interact with each other and with solid objects when subjected to different forces and conditions.

What is a Cart and Tank of Water in Fluid Mechanics?

A cart and tank of water is a simple experimental set-up used in fluid mechanics to study the behavior of fluids. It consists of a cart or trolley that can move horizontally along a track, and a tank filled with water placed on top of the cart. The cart is used to apply forces to the tank, which in turn affects the behavior of the water inside it.

What is the purpose of studying the Cart and Tank of Water in Fluid Mechanics?

The cart and tank of water experimental set-up allows scientists to observe and analyze the behavior of fluids when subjected to different forces and conditions. This helps in understanding the principles and equations of fluid mechanics and their real-world applications, such as in designing efficient water transport systems and predicting weather patterns.

What factors affect the behavior of water in the Cart and Tank set-up?

The behavior of water in the Cart and Tank set-up is affected by various factors, such as the shape and size of the tank, the speed and direction of the cart, the amount of water in the tank, and the type of forces applied. These factors can be controlled and manipulated to study different aspects of fluid mechanics.

How does the Cart and Tank set-up demonstrate Newton's Laws of Motion?

The Cart and Tank set-up is a practical way to demonstrate Newton's Laws of Motion. The movement of the cart and the behavior of the water inside the tank can be explained using these laws, such as the relationship between force and acceleration (Newton's Second Law) and the equal and opposite reaction between the cart and the tank (Newton's Third Law).