In summary, the problem involves a tank with an inclined wall at a 45 degree angle to the horizontal, a 1m square door hinged at A, and a simple latch at B. The distance between A and the free surface of sea water along the inclined wall is 2m. The specific gravity of the sea water is 1.1. The problem is to calculate the force F on the door due to the oil.
Mikee Carlos
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
20160430_1951154.jpg
As shown in the attached image, a tank has an inclined wall at an angle of 450 to the horizontal. On this wall, there is a 1m square door that is hinged at A and has a simple latch at B. The distance between A and the free surface of sea water measured along the inclined wall is 2 m. (Specific gravity of sea water sg = 1.1). Calculate the force F on the door due to the oil
MY WORKING OUT could anyone pls help check if i am right :) P=F/A SO F=PA than F=densitygravitysin(angle)Areaheight now in order to find the height cause it's inclined i did sin 90/2=sin45/x cross multiply to get x-1.414 back to the formula 1100*9.81*sin45*1m^2*1.414 and i got 10.789kN as my force

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Mikee, :welcome:

I find the problem sattement confusing: it asks for
Mikee Carlos said:
the force F on the door due to the oil
but it only gives the specific gravity of sea water. Why ? Where is the sea water ?
Your calculation also seems unlikely to me: you use 1.41 m (the depth of point A) as the depth for every point on the door ?

Last edited:

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids, which include liquids, gases, and plasmas. It involves understanding how fluids move and interact with their surroundings, and how they respond to external forces.

2. How is fluid mechanics used in civil engineering?

Fluid mechanics is used in civil engineering to design and analyze structures that involve fluid flow, such as water supply systems, drainage systems, and hydropower plants. It also plays a crucial role in understanding natural phenomena such as river flow and coastal erosion.

3. What are some key principles of fluid mechanics?

Some key principles of fluid mechanics include continuity, which states that the mass flow rate of a fluid remains constant in a closed system; Bernoulli's principle, which relates the speed of a fluid to its pressure and elevation; and the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of a fluid.

4. How is viscosity important in fluid mechanics?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow, and it is an important factor in fluid mechanics. The viscosity of a fluid affects its ability to transfer momentum, and it plays a role in determining flow patterns and pressure distributions in a fluid system.

5. What are some practical applications of fluid mechanics in civil engineering?

Some practical applications of fluid mechanics in civil engineering include designing water supply and distribution systems, calculating the forces on structures exposed to wind or water flow, and understanding the behavior of sediment in rivers and coastal areas. It is also used in the design of pumps, turbines, and other hydraulic machinery.