Fluid Mechanics: Compressible Fluids, density function

In summary: The compressibility condition should have a minus sign (the volume decreases with increasing pressure):k dP = -(1/V) dV
runningninja

Homework Statement

"Suppose that a liquid has an appreciable compressibility. Its density therefore varies with depth and pressure. The density at the surface is ρ0
(a) Show that the density varies with pressure according to ρ=ρ0ekp where P is gauge pressure at any depth and k is the compressibility, a constant.
(b) Find P as a function of depth y.

Homework Equations

ρ = m/V (Density definition)
k = (1/V)(ΔV/ΔP) (Compressiblity definition)
dP/dy = ρg (Pascal's Law)
My professor also hinted that I should replace any deltas with differentials, that I need to eliminate V, and to find dρ/dV (which is -m/V2

The Attempt at a Solution

From the second equation, I multiplied both sides by dP (after changing ΔV to dV and ΔP to dP) to obtain the following:
k dP = (1/V) dV
I then integrated both sides:
∫k dP (from P0 to P) = ∫(1/V) dV (from 0 to V)
kP(gauge)=ln(V)
ekP(gauge) = V
I get the feeling that I'm going in the correct direction, but haven't found a viable solution from this point. I fooled around with the density definition and Pascal's Law to no avail. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good start! Your integration limits on V are incorrect. They should be from V0 to V. Also, for a given amount of mass the product of density and volume is constant.

Chestermiller said:
Good start! Your integration limits on V are incorrect. They should be from V0 to V. Also, for a given amount of mass the product of density and volume is constant.

When I intergrate on those limits I get kP(gauge)=ln(V)-ln(V0), which seems to be worse than before.
Also, if m = ρV is constant, how does that work with ρ and V both being varying functions?

runningninja said:
When I intergrate on those limits I get kP(gauge)=ln(V)-ln(V0), which seems to be worse than before.
Also, if m = ρV is constant, how does that work with ρ and V both being varying functions?
The compressibility condition should have a minus sign (the volume decreases with increasing pressure):

k dP = -(1/V) dV

[tex]\frac{V}{V_0}=\frac{\rho_0}{\rho}=e^{-kP}[/tex]

I understand where the v/v0 came from (the ln) but how did you derive p0/p? Did it come from another integral somewhere?
EDIT: nvm, I understand now. Thanks a bunch!

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids and their behavior, including how they flow and interact with their surroundings.

2. What are compressible fluids?

Compressible fluids are fluids that can change their density when subjected to external forces, such as pressure or temperature changes. Examples include gases and some liquids.

3. How is the density function used in fluid mechanics?

The density function is a mathematical function that describes the relationship between density, pressure, and temperature in a compressible fluid. It is used in equations and models to calculate various properties of the fluid, such as flow velocity and pressure.

4. What are some real-world applications of compressible fluid mechanics?

Some common real-world applications of compressible fluid mechanics include the design and analysis of aircraft and rocket engines, the study of atmospheric phenomena such as weather patterns, and the development of efficient energy systems such as gas turbines.

5. How does the behavior of compressible fluids differ from incompressible fluids?

Compressible fluids can change their density in response to external forces, while incompressible fluids maintain a constant density. This results in different flow behaviors, such as shock waves and supersonic flow, in compressible fluids compared to incompressible fluids.