Fluid Mechanics - Drag (Bending Moment)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the total drag force and bending moment on a television transmitting antenna placed on top of a 30m high mast with a diameter of 300mm. The drag force is calculated to be 1350.6N at a wind speed of 35m/s and a drag coefficient of 0.2. The bending moment at the base of the mast is determined to be 20.26kNm, assuming an even distributed load over the entire mast. The conversation concludes with gratitude for the help provided.
MrWinesy
A television transmitting antenna is placed on top of a mast which is 30m high and 300mm in diameter. The mast is on top of a tall building. The wind blows at 35m/s and at normal atmospheric pressure (1.225kg/m^3). If the drag coefficient for the mast is 0.2. calculate:

(i) the total drag force on the mast.
(ii) the bending moment at the base of the mast.

(i) Fd=.5*Cd*ρ*U^2*A=.5*.2*1.225*35^2*(30*0.3)=1350.6N

(ii) but how do you do this question?

(the answer is M=20.26kNm but i do not know how to get there)

thank you in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they're assuming the drag force is an even distributed load over the entire mast. With that as the case, you can place the 1350.6 N force at the midpoint of the mast (15m). The FBD yields 1350.6 N * 15m = 20259 Nm.

that was potentially the most stupid question i have ever asked. thanks for your help sir.

Hahaha you're welcome. Glad I could help.

To calculate the bending moment at the base of the mast, we need to use the equation M=Fd*h, where Fd is the drag force calculated in part (i) and h is the height of the mast. In this case, h=30m. Therefore, M=1350.6N*30m=40,518 Nm=40.52 kNm. This is the bending moment at the base of the mast caused by the drag force.

Related to Fluid Mechanics - Drag (Bending Moment)

1. What is drag in fluid mechanics?

Drag in fluid mechanics refers to the force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid, such as air or water. It is caused by the interaction between the object and the fluid, and its magnitude depends on the shape, size, and speed of the object.

2. How does the shape of an object affect drag?

The shape of an object has a significant impact on drag. Objects with streamlined shapes, such as airplanes, experience less drag because the fluid can flow smoothly around them. On the other hand, objects with non-streamlined shapes, such as cubes, experience more drag due to the turbulent flow of the fluid around them.

3. What is the difference between drag and lift in fluid mechanics?

Drag and lift are two opposing forces in fluid mechanics. While drag acts in the direction opposite to the motion of the object, lift acts perpendicular to the motion. Drag is caused by the friction between the object and the fluid, while lift is caused by the pressure difference above and below the object.

4. How is drag related to the bending moment in fluid mechanics?

In fluid mechanics, the bending moment is the force that causes an object to bend or twist. Drag is one of the forces that contribute to the bending moment, especially in objects with non-streamlined shapes. The greater the drag force, the greater the bending moment and the more likely the object is to bend or twist.

5. What factors can be adjusted to reduce drag in fluid mechanics?

There are several ways to reduce drag in fluid mechanics. One is by changing the shape of the object to make it more streamlined. Another is by reducing the speed of the object, as the drag force increases with speed. Additionally, adding a smooth surface or using a lubricant can also help reduce drag by reducing the friction between the object and the fluid.