Fluid Mechanics Viscous Dissipation

In summary: H. is trying to find an expression for viscous dissipation for Burger's vortex velocity field in cylindrical coordinates. There is confusion about the correct equation for viscous dissipation, with different sources mentioning different equations such as 2muS:S or Sxtau components. However, it appears that all the equations are equivalent and should give the same results.
Jade Sola
I am trying to find an expression for viscous dissipation for burger's vortex Velocity field which only has velocity component in the V theta direction. I'm confused as to which equation for viscosity dissipation is correct. I am seeing a lot of different things tau:S, tau:delV..which one is correct?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Um.. I think you need to be a bit more specific. What form are you working with?

a_potato said:
Um.. I think you need to be a bit more specific. What form are you working with?
cylindrical coordintates...so this is what the velocity field is
upload_2014-11-26_18-20-1.png

what I am confused about is what exactly is the equation for viscous dissipation ... My professor said in class that it is 2muS:S (from Navierstokes eq.3) but I am seeing differen things online and I also heard from another classmate of mine that it has something to do with Sxtau components. I am just confused ...sorry if I am confusing the matter here.

Jade Sola said:
cylindrical coordintates...so this is what the velocity field is
View attachment 75868
what I am confused about is what exactly is the equation for viscous dissipation ... My professor said in class that it is 2muS:S (from Navierstokes eq.3) but I am seeing differen things online and I also heard from another classmate of mine that it has something to do with Sxtau components. I am just confused ...sorry if I am confusing the matter here.
If S is the rate of deformation tensor (which it certainly appears to be), then:
S = (∇V+∇VT)/2
and
τ = 2μS
So, the rate of viscous dissipation is τ:∇V = τ:S = 2μS:S. All the relations you wrote are the same, and should give the same results.

Chet

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Viscous dissipation is an important aspect of fluid mechanics, and it is often expressed in different ways depending on the specific flow conditions and equations used. In the case of Burger's vortex velocity field, which only has a velocity component in the V theta direction, the correct equation for viscous dissipation would be the expression tau:delV, where tau is the shear stress and delV is the velocity gradient in the direction of the shear stress.

The expression tau:S, where S is the rate of strain tensor, is also a valid equation for viscous dissipation, but it is typically used for more complex flow fields that have multiple velocity components. In Burger's vortex, since there is only one velocity component, the tau:delV expression would be more appropriate.

It is important to note that both expressions are essentially equivalent and can be derived from the same underlying principles. The choice of which one to use may depend on the specific problem at hand and the available equations and data.

I hope this clarifies your confusion. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best of luck in your research!

What is fluid mechanics viscous dissipation?

Fluid mechanics viscous dissipation refers to the conversion of kinetic energy into thermal energy due to the internal friction between fluid layers. This phenomenon occurs in viscous fluids, such as oils and honey, and can impact the overall flow and temperature distribution within a system.

What factors affect the amount of viscous dissipation in a fluid?

The amount of viscous dissipation in a fluid is affected by the fluid's viscosity, velocity, and flow rate. Higher viscosity fluids and faster flow rates will typically result in greater viscous dissipation.

How is viscous dissipation calculated?

The calculation of viscous dissipation involves the use of the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of viscous fluids. These equations take into account factors such as the fluid's density, viscosity, and velocity to determine the amount of dissipation within a system.

What are the practical applications of studying viscous dissipation?

The study of viscous dissipation is important in various fields, including engineering, meteorology, and geophysics. It can help in the design and optimization of systems involving fluid flow, as well as in understanding atmospheric and oceanic currents.

How can the effects of viscous dissipation be minimized?

To minimize the effects of viscous dissipation, measures can be taken to decrease the fluid's viscosity and flow rate, such as using lubricants or altering the shape of the system. Additionally, the use of heat transfer equipment and insulation can help to mitigate the impact of viscous dissipation on temperature distribution within a system.