Fluid Powers: Determine what class lever I'm using

In summary, the conversation is about a student who needs help figuring out which formula to use to determine the class of lever being used in a 10 ton log splitter circuit. They provide information about the lever, force, and cylinder dimensions but are unsure of which formula to use. They mention their teacher did not specify which formula to use and they are having trouble identifying the correct diagram in their book. Another person suggests using the sum of torques as the only equation needed for levers. The student mentions they have to also find the pressure at three different points between two cylinders, one of which may be an intensifier. They are looking for an equation to use in their calculations.
Bsmith072
I need help figuring out which formula to use to find what class lever I am using in a 10 ton log splitter circuit. The lever is 16 inches long and I am applying 100 pounds of force on the lever which is connected to a cylinder 5 inches in diameter, 24 inch stroke, and a 2 inch rod diameter. My teacher says it's in our book but didn't say specifically which formula it is and I just can't figure it out by looking at them all.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Where is the pivot in relation to the load and the applied force?
Look at the diagrams for different class levers in your book and compare.

Ok so it looks like a class 3 lever. The rod of the piston comes up and touches the middle. not quite sure if you can tell from the picture but I'm pretty sure it looks like a class 3

Attachments

• IMG_20151023_200909.jpg
    IMG_20151023_200909.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 346
I've personally never used the class system for levers... I just use the sum of torques: then I only need to remember one equation.

OK. My teacher didn't actually go over all of this with us so we're flying blind trying to learn for ourselves. Thanks for the help

If you know about torque (moments) you can check the equation.
Locate the pivot, sketch the force vectors in.

I also have to figure out the pressure at 3 different points and all the 3 points are between 2 cylinders one of which I believe is an intensifier if I'm looking at the problem correctly. I just need an equation to go off of.

Last edited:

1. What are the three types of levers?

The three types of levers are first-class, second-class, and third-class. They differ in the position of the fulcrum, load, and effort.

2. How do I determine the class of lever I'm using?

You can determine the class of lever by identifying the position of the fulcrum, load, and effort. In a first-class lever, the fulcrum is between the load and the effort. In a second-class lever, the load is between the fulcrum and the effort. In a third-class lever, the effort is between the fulcrum and the load.

3. What is the difference between mechanical advantage and mechanical efficiency?

Mechanical advantage is the ratio of the output force to the input force, while mechanical efficiency is the ratio of the output work to the input work. Mechanical efficiency takes into account energy losses due to friction and other factors.

4. How does fluid power affect the operation of a lever?

Fluid power, such as hydraulic or pneumatic systems, can be used to power the effort in a lever. This allows for greater force to be applied with less effort, increasing the mechanical advantage of the lever.

5. Can a lever be classified as more than one type?

Yes, a lever can be classified as more than one type depending on the position of the fulcrum, load, and effort. For example, a pair of scissors can be considered a first-class lever when cutting paper, but a second-class lever when cutting wire.