How Fast Should Water Flow from a Faucet to Properly Water a Rooftop Lawn?

• Thread starter scarlson1193
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluids
In summary, the problem involves a man trying to water his lawn using a sprinkler with 40 holes of diameter 1 mm. He wants the water to reach just the edge of the lawn, which is 2 m away from the center of the sprinkler. The sprinkler is connected to a faucet on a wall 70 cm above the roof level. The man wants to know the speed of the water out of the 1.9 cm diameter faucet for the water to reach the edge of the lawn, as well as the pressure at the faucet opening. Bernoulli's Principle and Variation of Pressure with Depth equations are used to solve the problem, but the exact method is unclear.
scarlson1193

Homework Statement

A man has a garden on the roof of his building. He has a patio and a small lawn. He wants to water the lawn. He has a sprinkler in the form of a disk with 40 holes of diameter 1 mm. A line drawn tangent to the sprinkler at the location of the outer most holes would make an angle of 15 degrees with the horizontal. He places the sprinkler at the center of the lawn with a distance of 2 m from the sprinkler to the edge of the lawn and connects it via a hose to a faucet placed on a wall 70 cm above the roof level. The man does not want the water to extend farther than the edge of the lawn. What should be the speed of the water out of the 1.9 cm diameter faucet for the water to reach no farther than the edge of the lawn? What will be the pressure at the faucet opening?

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's Principle:
tumblr_lo9evoBZLP1qew352o1_400.png

The Attempt at a Solution

In all honesty, I'm not even sure where to begin with this problem. The density of the water is 1000 kg/m^3 and gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. When we plugged in our given data to Bernoulli's Principle, our answer was 6860 Pa. However, I'm not entirely sure that answer is even helpful to our problem. Any advice on where to even start going would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
scarlson1193 said:

Homework Statement

A man has a garden on the roof of his building. He has a patio and a small lawn. He wants to water the lawn. He has a sprinkler in the form of a disk with 40 holes of diameter 1 mm. A line drawn tangent to the sprinkler at the location of the outer most holes would make an angle of 15 degrees with the horizontal. He places the sprinkler at the center of the lawn with a distance of 2 m from the sprinkler to the edge of the lawn and connects it via a hose to a faucet placed on a wall 70 cm above the roof level. The man does not want the water to extend farther than the edge of the lawn. What should be the speed of the water out of the 1.9 cm diameter faucet for the water to reach no farther than the edge of the lawn? What will be the pressure at the faucet opening?

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's Principle:
tumblr_lo9evoBZLP1qew352o1_400.png

The Attempt at a Solution

In all honesty, I'm not even sure where to begin with this problem. The density of the water is 1000 kg/m^3 and gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. When we plugged in our given data to Bernoulli's Principle, our answer was 6860 Pa. However, I'm not entirely sure that answer is even helpful to our problem. Any advice on where to even start going would be great.
Welcome to Physics Forums.

It is hard to follow how you got 6860 Pa from Bernouli's equation, since you don't know v.

It is also difficult to picture the situation without a figure. That being said, can you calculate what v must be when the water leaves the sprinkler head, in order that the water just reaches the edge of the lawn?

I'm sorry, I meant to say that we used Variation of Pressure with Depth to find 6860 Pa.

scarlson1193 said:
I'm sorry, I meant to say that we used Variation of Pressure with Depth to find 6860 Pa.
Okay.

Can you calculate what v must be when the water leaves the sprinkler head, in order that the water just reaches the edge of the lawn?

As a scientist, my first step would be to gather more information and clarify any assumptions made in the problem. For example, what is the desired depth of water on the lawn? How does the angle of the sprinkler affect the water coverage? Are there any external factors such as wind that could affect the water distribution?

Once these details are clear, I would approach the problem by using fluid dynamics principles such as Bernoulli's equation, the continuity equation, and the Navier-Stokes equation. These equations can help calculate the speed and pressure of the water at different points in the system. Additionally, I would consider the properties of the water, such as its viscosity and surface tension, which can also affect the water's behavior.

I would also suggest conducting experiments or simulations to better understand the behavior of the water in this specific scenario. This can help validate the calculations and provide a more accurate solution.

Overall, as a scientist, I would approach this problem systematically, gathering all relevant information and using mathematical and experimental methods to determine the appropriate speed and pressure for the water to reach the desired distance on the lawn.

1. How much water should I use to water my lawn?

The amount of water needed to water a lawn depends on multiple factors such as climate, soil type, and grass type. Generally, lawns need about 1 to 1.5 inches of water per week, including rainfall. It's best to water your lawn deeply and infrequently to encourage deep root growth.

2. How often should I water my lawn?

This also depends on factors such as climate, soil type, and grass type. In general, lawns should be watered 2-3 times per week. However, if there is a lot of rainfall, you may not need to water as often. It's important to check the soil moisture before watering to avoid over-watering.

3. What is the best time of day to water my lawn?

The best time to water your lawn is in the morning, between 6 am and 10 am. This allows the water to soak into the soil before the heat of the day evaporates it. Avoid watering in the evening as it can lead to fungal growth and disease.

4. Should I water my lawn with a sprinkler or a drip system?

This depends on personal preference and the size of your lawn. Sprinklers are better for larger lawns, while drip systems are more efficient for smaller lawns and gardens. Drip systems also reduce water waste and are better for watering specific areas or plants.

5. Can I use recycled or greywater to water my lawn?

Yes, you can use recycled or greywater to water your lawn, but it's important to follow local regulations and guidelines. Make sure to use safe and non-toxic cleaning products if you plan on using greywater. Also, avoid using water from the dishwasher or toilet as they may contain harmful chemicals.