Fluorescence of fused silica, quartz and Borofloat 33?

In summary, the fluorescence in fused silica, quartz, and Borofloat 33 is caused by impurities or defects in the crystal structure, which emit light at a longer wavelength when excited by high-energy radiation. This fluorescence can be controlled or eliminated through purification processes, but may also alter the materials' physical and optical properties. The interference of fluorescence with light transmission can decrease optical clarity and increase scattering, affecting their use in precision applications. The fluorescence of these materials can also be harnessed for practical purposes such as in fluorescent lamps and optical sensors, and can serve as a diagnostic tool for identifying impurities or defects. However, fluorescence alone cannot be used to identify these materials, as other substances may also exhibit fluorescence.
Yinxiao Li
I am trying to get a glass substrate, which is transparent. However, I need this substrate to have low fluorescence. I know fused silica, quartz and Borofloat 33 are transparent but I don't know which one has the lowest fluorescence. I checked google but can't find any data that directly compares them. Any clues?

Physics news on Phys.org
So what you really want is material, not glass necessarily, which is maximally transparent?
Which absorbs very few photons at any wavelength?
I found this,which might be a good place to start. (maybe).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparent_ceramics

1. What causes fluorescence in fused silica, quartz, and Borofloat 33?

The fluorescence in these materials is caused by the presence of impurities or defects in the crystal structure. When these impurities are excited by high-energy radiation, they emit light at a longer wavelength, resulting in the characteristic fluorescence.

2. Can the fluorescence of these materials be controlled or eliminated?

Yes, the fluorescence can be controlled or eliminated through various purification processes, such as high-temperature annealing or chemical treatments. However, these processes may also alter the physical and optical properties of the materials.

3. How does the fluorescence of fused silica, quartz, and Borofloat 33 affect their optical properties?

The fluorescence can interfere with the transmission of light through these materials, leading to a decrease in optical clarity and an increase in scattering. This can impact their use in applications that require high optical precision.

4. Are there any practical applications for the fluorescence of fused silica, quartz, and Borofloat 33?

Yes, the fluorescence of these materials can be harnessed for various purposes, such as in fluorescent lamps and optical sensors. In addition, their fluorescence can also be used as a diagnostic tool for identifying impurities or defects in the materials.

5. Can the fluorescence of these materials be used to identify them?

No, the fluorescence alone cannot be used to identify fused silica, quartz, and Borofloat 33, as other materials may also exhibit fluorescence. However, the combination of fluorescence and other physical and optical properties can help in their identification.