Flux of Electric Field through a cone

However, double check your calculations to make sure you didn't make any small errors. In summary, the total flux through the surface of a cone with no charge inside is zero, because the flux through the lateral surface is equal to the negative of the flux through the base surface. The flux through the base surface is equal to the electric field times the area of the base, which is a homogenous field. By the figure, the angle Ω is equal to arctan(h/R). Therefore, the flux through the lateral surface is equal to the negative of E times pi times the radius squared times R divided by the square root of R squared plus h squared. This is the correct answer, but the solution you saw may have had a mistake
Moara
Homework Statement
A conic surface is placed Inside a region filled with uniform Electric Field E. The field lines are perpendicular to the geratrix AB. The cone has height h and radius R of it's base. Find the electric flux through the lateral surface of the cone.
Relevant Equations
Ø=E.S.cosx Øtot=qint/€ (gaus law)
Since there is no charge inside the cone, the total flux through its surface is zero, hence Ø(lateral surface)+∅(base surface)=0. But ∅(base surface)=E.πR².cosΩ, because electric Field is homogenous. But by the figure, Ω is just arctg(h/R).
So Ø(lateral surface)=-E.π.R².R/√(R²+h²).
This is not the answer according to the solution I saw. My point is, does anyone could show me where is my mistake?
15720384362294540504960180785928.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks correct to me. Do you remember the form of the answer from the solution?

Here is the solution I saw. The sentence : " temos que" is equal to " we have that"
Screenshot_2019-10-25-21-14-52-850_com.android.browser.png

Looks like this is a different problem where they want the flux through the two shaded regions (the triangle and the semicircle). But I think there is a mistake in the solution where they inadvertently switched the two angles in the third line:
1572050553808.png

Anyway, I think your work is correct for the problem you stated.

Likes Moara

1. What is the definition of flux of electric field through a cone?

The flux of electric field through a cone is defined as the measure of the amount of electric field passing through the surface of a cone. It is a measure of the strength of the electric field through the cone.

2. How is the flux of electric field through a cone calculated?

The flux of electric field through a cone can be calculated by using the equation Φ = E * A * cosθ, where Φ represents the flux, E represents the electric field strength, A represents the area of the cone, and θ represents the angle between the electric field and the normal to the surface of the cone.

3. What factors affect the flux of electric field through a cone?

The flux of electric field through a cone is affected by the strength of the electric field, the area of the cone, and the angle between the electric field and the normal to the surface of the cone. It is also affected by the dielectric constant of the material inside the cone and the distance between the cone and the source of the electric field.

4. How does the shape of the cone affect the flux of electric field?

The shape of the cone does not have a significant effect on the flux of electric field. As long as the cone has a constant cross-sectional area, the flux will remain the same regardless of the shape of the cone.

5. What is the unit of measurement for flux of electric field through a cone?

The unit of measurement for flux of electric field through a cone is Newtons per meter squared (N/m²). It is also equivalent to the unit of electric field, volts per meter (V/m).