FM radio system for simultaneous translation

In summary: It is also slightly less efficient, so you would need to account for that when calculating the cost of the system. Hope this helps.
Jimberlin
Maybe someone who knows about FM radio transmission equipment can help me. I'm the pastor of a 200 member church in Berlin Germany. I would like to build a small system to broadcast simultaneous translation. I would think all I need is an FM transmitter, microphone and FM radios or headset receivers. The maximum distance required is 75 feet. Is there something I'm missing? Can anyone recommend the kind of equipment I need to purchase? I've seen systems for 10 people at $1000 but I would think I could reduce that price by half or more with a DIY system. Thanks for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jimberlin said:
Maybe someone who knows about FM radio transmission equipment can help me. I'm the pastor of a 200 member church in Berlin Germany. I would like to build a small system to broadcast simultaneous translation. I would think all I need is an FM transmitter, microphone and FM radios or headset receivers. The maximum distance required is 75 feet. Is there something I'm missing? Can anyone recommend the kind of equipment I need to purchase? I've seen systems for 10 people at $1000 but I would think I could reduce that price by half or more with a DIY system. Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the PF.

You should check the radio spectrum regulations in Germany. Here in the US, you can transmit very low power in the licensed AM and FM bands, so that you can transmit on an otherwise empty channel (if one exists) and folks can just use their portable AM or FM radios to listen. In the US, the range for such transmissions is not very far -- perhaps it can work to 75 feet in an enclosed area like a church, but you would have to try it. You can purchase FM transmitter kits that meet the FCC regulations for transmit power here in the US, for example.

Another option would be to use the ISM "microwave oven" band, which I think is the same in most countries. It is around 2.4GHz, so you would need to figure out how to make the transmitters and receivers. You can transmit substantially more power in the ISM band.

1. What is a FM radio system for simultaneous translation?

A FM radio system for simultaneous translation is a technology that allows a speaker's voice to be transmitted through a radio frequency to be heard by an audience in real-time through headphones or earpieces. This system is commonly used in conferences, events, and meetings where multiple languages are spoken.

2. How does a FM radio system for simultaneous translation work?

The system consists of a transmitter, which is connected to the speaker's microphone, and multiple receivers, which are distributed to the audience members. The speaker's voice is transmitted through the transmitter and received by the receivers, allowing the audience to hear the translated version of the speech in their preferred language.

3. What are the advantages of using a FM radio system for simultaneous translation?

One of the main advantages is that it allows for real-time interpretation, which means that the audience can hear the translated version of the speech without any delay. This system also provides clear and high-quality sound, making it easier for the audience to understand the speaker. Additionally, it is a more cost-effective option compared to hiring multiple interpreters for each language.

4. Are there any limitations to using a FM radio system for simultaneous translation?

One limitation is that it requires the use of headphones or earpieces, which may not be comfortable for some audience members. Additionally, the range of the system may be limited, so it may not be suitable for large venues. It also relies on a stable radio frequency, so any interference or technical issues may affect the quality of the sound.

5. Can a FM radio system for simultaneous translation be used for all languages?

Yes, this system can be used for all languages as long as the appropriate frequency and equipment are available. However, it may be more challenging to find interpreters for less commonly spoken languages. It is important to plan ahead and make arrangements for interpreters and equipment to ensure a smooth and successful translation process.